Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by dee factorial <de...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/01 05:45:35 UTC

Re: LDAP role and group hierarchy?

could you send the jetspeed.log file error when you add the dot to a role or
group. What directory server implementation are you using ?

I found out that it encodes everything to UTF-8 if that helps. but that
should not matter should it.
Try adding a role with a dot manually and see if that works.

On 7/30/07, shim@shimpossible.com <sh...@shimpossible.com> wrote:

> I haev the registration porlet working correctly.  I can login and out,
> and can
> view/add/edit groups, users and roles.   I followed the how-to at
>

> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/multiproject/jetspeed-security/ldap.html
>
> I also removed the 2 xml files it said to.
>
> The issue I'm having is in adding groups/roles in a hierarchy.   I was
> wondering
> what the procedure was.   When jetspeed is useing a DB for authentication,
> you
> add groups/roles with a "." in them. (ie Sub1.sub2.sub3)
>
> If I try to add a group/role with a "." when I am authenticating against
> the
> LDAP, jetspeed complains and stops functioning

"In today's highly interdependent world, individuals and nations can no
longer resolve many of their problems by themselves. We need one another. We
must therefore develop a sense of universal responsibility. . . It is our
collective and individual responsibility to protect and nurture the global
family, to support its weaker members, and the preserve and tend to the
environment in which we all live." His Holiness the Dalai Lama, A Policy of
Kindness: An Anthology of Writings by and about the Dali Lama (Ithaca, Ny:
Snow Lion, 1990), 113-14.

Re: LDAP role and group hierarchy?

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Wish I could help you guys, but both of you have had much more
success than I with LDAP
(I did not work on the LDAP implementation in Jetspeed)
Recently I was asked to help someone with configuring Jetspeed +
LDAP, and I didn't have time to work on due to the request being in
the middle of my vacation
Thus I hired an intern to work on it, and he has been at it for a
while now, trying to figure LDAP + Jetspeed

Basically we haven't even gotten to the steps where we configure
Jetspeed
We gave up on OpenLDAP, as we can't even login via JExplorer
nevermind Jetspeed!

We are now trying ApacheDS, which has a nice Eclipse browser, but the
intern now tells
me that we have to rebuild ApacheDS java code just to add the
jetspeed.schema to the system
So we will be pursuing that route tomorrow

Once (if) we figure this all out, I will share my experiences with
you and improve the documentation

On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:54 PM, Ramaiah, Rajaram A K wrote:

>  We too face the same problem. I see a fix done in the file management
> functionality in Jetspeed 2.1.2 version to resolve the dot issue. But,
> we are yet to check the issue with 2.1.2 version.

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

RE: LDAP role and group hierarchy?

Posted by sh...@shimpossible.com.
Im using ApacheDS 1.5.0, with jetspeed 2.1.2

Adding a group with a . in it through LDAP works fine.  They show up in the
group list and seem to function correctly.  But I'm not able to edit or remove
any group with a . in it.    But in the LDAP I have groups with .'s in them
which seems kinda weird since LDAP supports a tree structure.

On a different note: I notice that
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/images/definingUserAttributes.jpg

shows a tree view of users.  How/Where can I get a list like that?

Posted by "Ramaiah, Rajaram A K" <ra...@hp.com>.