Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Colin 't Hart <ct...@gbs.com.au> on 2000/07/04 08:09:49 UTC

Problem: Using Jikes on NT with spaces in working directory

Hello,

I've been encountering a problem using Jikes on NT
(ie. by setting the "build.compiler" property = "jikes")

First,
It's not a simple matter of setting just this property; one
has to add the run-time library to the classpath as Jikes,
unlike javac, needs to know where to find it.

Second,
Jikes (version 1.11 on NT) hates spaces in the path to
the working directory.
I fixed this in my local copy by enclosing the parameter to the "-d"
argument to Jikes in the doJikesCompile() method, line 567:

        argList.addElement("\"" + destDir.getAbsolutePath() + "\"");

Third,
not specifically to do with this problem. The nightly snapshots
are empty zip files due to an error in the CVS committed code!

Please CC me on any replies.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin 't Hart               tel: +61 (03) 6223 1999
Systems Analyst             fax: +61 (03) 6223 1988
Geographic Business Systems
PO Box 844 SANDY BAY, Tasmania 7006

Re: Problem: Using Jikes on NT with spaces in working directory

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 CtH> First, It's not a simple matter of setting just this property;
 CtH> one has to add the run-time library to the classpath as Jikes,
 CtH> unlike javac, needs to know where to find it.

I'll take a look at the Javac task to see whether it could be done
automatically.

 CtH> The nightly snapshots are empty zip files due to an error in the
 CtH> CVS committed code!

Just for the record as I'm the culprit who introduced the problem. I
added a new attribute (forceoverwrite) to copydir and used it in Ant's
build.xml right after that. The build fails because the older version
of Ant that generates the nightly build doesn't have that attribute.

This is not a bug in the code - if you bootstrap Ant everything should
work - but I should have thought of it anyway.

Stefan