Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/08 17:56:39 UTC

Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Hi all,

I wanted to send a note that Infra has seen a couple requests from podlings
to publish under third-party Maven groupId coordinates (com.alibaba and
org.netbeans). Unless/until the Foundation owns these domains, we cannot
allow publishing under those coordinates.

Needless to say, we'll never own alibaba.com :p ... Maybe one day, we'll
get netbeans.org (what is the status on that?) ... But we cannot publish
convenience binaries to Maven Central before such time.

And please note that I said "convenience binaries". This is an important
point for the two podlings: the Foundation makes source code releases.
Period. Full stop. Both podlings can do that today -- there is nothing
inhibiting making such releases. ... What *cannot* be done is publishing
convenience binaries to those third-party coordinates.

The podlings will be able to publish under org.apache, of course. The
restriction merely applies to any compatibility/historical shims that are
retained, to map the old-named packages over to new org.apache naming.

Regards,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Dubbo teams are making every endeavor to prepare the first formal release under the apache way, I also help teams to sweep away the binary and source liences problems :-)

Best Regards,
Von Gosling

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
There may be binary convenience artifacts, but let's not dignify them by
the name release. They aren't, after all.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 9:50 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> > In other words, there are several ways to prove that a binary release is
> WRONG but (to Greg’s point) there is no way to prove it RIGHT.
>
> That's actually a great way to put it.

Yeah, it really is. Props to Julian!

Cheers,
-g

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> As a mentor, I strongly advise against podlings making binary releases, especially for the first release.
>> It’s difficult enough to get L&N correct for source releases, and when a binary release is being make
>> at the same time with necessarily different L&N, the PPMC tend to get hopelessly confused.
>
> Big +1 here. This is exactly what I advise my podlings as well.

Which was the advice given here but as most of their users use the binary not the source it was decided to do both.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Looking at the release candidate just made both the license and notice for the source release and the connivance binary are going to be just about identical as there's only 2 3rd party jars included and none of the other jars contain 3rd party code (other than what is mentioned in LICENSE), both the 3rd party jars are apache licensed so it’s optional if they are mention in LICENSE. Nice if they are but not essential. [1] Neither have NOTICE files so there no effect on the Apache Dubbo’s NOTICE.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Looking at the release candidate just made both the license and notice for the source release and the connivance binary are going to be just about identical as there's only 2 3rd party jars included and none of the other jars contain 3rd party code (other than what is mentioned in LICENSE), both the 3rd party jars are apache licensed so it’s optional if they are mention in LICENSE. Nice if they are but not essential. [1] Neither have NOTICE file so there no effect on the Apache Dubbo’s NOTICE.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...In other words, there are several ways to prove that a binary release
> is WRONG but (to Greg’s point) there is no way to prove it RIGHT....

One useful thing that people could do with binary artifacts is to say
"I use the binary with sha256 digest XYZ and it works for me" - but
that doesn't make the Apache Releases, they are still unverifiable
binaries regardless.

-Bertrand

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
In other words, there are several ways to prove that a binary release is WRONG but (to Greg’s point) there is no way to prove it RIGHT.

As a mentor, I strongly advise against podlings making binary releases, especially for the first release. It’s difficult enough to get L&N correct for source releases, and when a binary release is being make at the same time with necessarily different L&N, the PPMC tend to get hopelessly confused.

Bundling artifacts is very common in the Java world, where shading is a best practice and is made very easy by maven.

Julian

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> There is NO WAY to verify a binary. Even compiling from source to binary on
> your machine, and trying to compare against a target binary will generally
> fail since timestamps are embedded. Or maybe there are different compilers
> being used.

As per ASF policy a connivance binary can be release as the same time [1] and it needs to comply with license and notice policy [2].

It usually very easy to check a binary (and I’ve done it 100’s of time) by uncompress the jar or just editing it directly to see what is bundled inside it.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#compiled-packages
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any plan for going through the vote process of Binary file?

Yes, binaries will also go through the vote process.

> Normally there are lots of work on the License files of Binary durning the
> first release.
> Maybe we should need to vote the binary file as well.
>

> Willem Jiang
>
> Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)
>           http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>> >
>> > Binaries are NOT part of Apache Releases, as mentioned earlier in this
>> thread.
>>
>> Yes, we fully understood that.
>>
>> Here what I mean "release" does not mean an Apache release, it is
>> actually a "hybrid" release, which includes:
>>
>> * source (following Apache release policy)
>> * binary (it is optional but still following Apache release policy)
>> * Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (Non Apache release)
>>

>> > Dubbo mentors, I think we need a clear description of how these
>> > "hybrid" releases are done, to avoid any misunderstandings.
>> >
>> > Justin mentioned in this thread that that's been discussed on your dev
>> > list, so you probably just need to summarize that and include the URL
>> > in your next Incubator report.
>> >
>> > -Bertrand
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards!
>> Huxing

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any plan for going through the vote process of Binary file?

Yes, binaries will also go through the vote process.

> Normally there are lots of work on the License files of Binary durning the
> first release.
> Maybe we should need to vote the binary file as well.
>

> Willem Jiang
>
> Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)
>           http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>> >
>> > Binaries are NOT part of Apache Releases, as mentioned earlier in this
>> thread.
>>
>> Yes, we fully understood that.
>>
>> Here what I mean "release" does not mean an Apache release, it is
>> actually a "hybrid" release, which includes:
>>
>> * source (following Apache release policy)
>> * binary (it is optional but still following Apache release policy)
>> * Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (Non Apache release)
>>

>> > Dubbo mentors, I think we need a clear description of how these
>> > "hybrid" releases are done, to avoid any misunderstandings.
>> >
>> > Justin mentioned in this thread that that's been discussed on your dev
>> > list, so you probably just need to summarize that and include the URL
>> > in your next Incubator report.
>> >
>> > -Bertrand
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards!
>> Huxing

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,,
IMO it only the source release that is important and unless we find a
serious issue like GPL licensed software in the binary all is good.
Particularly if you call out that they may be issues with the binary
license and notice files as part of the vote email. This is an incubating
project and it's not expected to get everything right first go.

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Please note: my initial message was not to question the release process.
Merely that Infra was asked to enable provision of artifacts within Maven
Central under a groupId that is not "org.apache". At the moment, we cannot
/ will-not work on making that possible. Infra doesn't involve itself in
community (release) processes, so please go about your business :-)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> ...The maven artifact is the most significant for most of the Dubbo
>> users, so we want to include a maven artifact in the release....
>
> Binaries are NOT part of Apache Releases, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Apache Dubbo is aware of that and it has been made clear on the dev list several times. The context above is that it’s users are not aware of that (currently) and not all want to compile from source. Other projects (ie Apache Flex or Apache Open Office) face the same issue, although probably to a greater extent.

> Dubbo mentors, I think we need a clear description of how these
> "hybrid" releases are done, to avoid any misunderstandings.

The release process will be documented as part of the release to document and help future release managers.

Here’s two threads on the release [1][2] that might help. (Note most of the emails there predates this discussion).

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/114d04c1aaa8141ba99ef14bc75081c512989b55c9b0a81636704fa6@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E
2. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5265f8fc0315270f5b908f38a4e47c856784bc39214af6ffa3efcdf4@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I would like to clarify more on a wider range.

Dubbo will always trying to follow the ASF release policy as much as possible.

The reason why the group id remains com.alibaba is for compatibility
purpose. It might take some time for Dubbo to to change the group id
as well as package name, we've already had some idea, and the work is
expected to be done later.

While Dubbo has already had a very large user base, one of our primary
concern it to keep a stable release cycle, therefore a release with
existing group id is needed.

The maven artifact is the most significant for most of the Dubbo
users, so we want to include a maven artifact in the release. Since
ASF does not allow third-party coordinates to be published, so we
proposed to make the source (as well as binary) release to Apache
mirror system, and then publish the maven artifact to nexus with our
exiting approach.

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> But nothing prevents Alibaba from publishing under coordinates that they
>> control.
>>
>> It needs to be clear however that it is alibaba publishing there, not
>> Apache.
>
> The has been discussed on list with Dubbo and that’s the approach they are going to take with their first release. They are aware will need to change the package name at some later point.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I would like to clarify more on a wider range.

Dubbo will always trying to follow the ASF release policy as much as possible.

The reason why the group id remains com.alibaba is for compatibility
purpose. It might take some time for Dubbo to to change the group id
as well as package name, we've already had some idea, and the work is
expected to be done later.

While Dubbo has already had a very large user base, one of our primary
concern it to keep a stable release cycle, therefore a release with
existing group id is needed.

The maven artifact is the most significant for most of the Dubbo
users, so we want to include a maven artifact in the release. Since
ASF does not allow third-party coordinates to be published, so we
proposed to make the source (as well as binary) release to Apache
mirror system, and then publish the maven artifact to nexus with our
exiting approach.

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> But nothing prevents Alibaba from publishing under coordinates that they
>> control.
>>
>> It needs to be clear however that it is alibaba publishing there, not
>> Apache.
>
> The has been discussed on list with Dubbo and that’s the approach they are going to take with their first release. They are aware will need to change the package name at some later point.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Maybe the first release should be Apache for the source with Alibaba making the binary release through their current Maven release process.

Which is my understanding of what they are going to do. They were also going to vote on the binary to check it’s OK but not have that as part of the ASF release. I think we’re all on the same page here.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 8, 2018, at 5:08 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> But nothing prevents Alibaba from publishing under coordinates that they
>> control.
>>
>> It needs to be clear however that it is alibaba publishing there, not
>> Apache.
>
> The has been discussed on list with Dubbo and that’s the approach they are going to take with their first release. They are aware will need to change the package name at some later point.

Maybe the first release should be Apache for the source with Alibaba making the binary release through their current Maven release process.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Greg has it all correct.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Greg has it all correct.

RE: Publishing Maven Artifacts under netbeans.org (was Re: Publishing Maven artifacts under third-party coordinates (was: Set up Nexus staging profile for Dubbo ...))

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi
I found information here (hope this is enough)
https://central.sonatype.org/pages/requirements.html
I'm not sure of the dev section

Maybe and idea is to have a flag to generate a parent pom and to have each pom inherit instead of generating lines of xml replicating the same info.

Best Regards
Eric

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,