Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/03 22:10:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Please find below a proposal for a new Incubator podling named Apache
RocketMQ, a fast, low latency, reliable, scalable, distributed, easy to use
message-oriented middleware, especially for processing large amounts of
streaming data.

The draft proposal can be found in the wiki at the following URL:

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RocketMQProposal

Below, please find the text for the proposal below.

Thanks,

Bruce

= RocketMQ Proposal =

== Abstract ==

RocketMQ is a fast, low latency, reliable, scalable, distributed, easy to
use message-oriented middleware, especially for processing large amounts of
streaming data.

== Proposal ==

RocketMQ provides a message model including both pub/sub and P2P and it
supports both reliable FIFO and strict sequential message queues. It also
has the ability to accumulate a billion messages in a single queue,
provides mobile, internet-friendly protocols such as MQTT and HTTP.
RocketMQ also supports the ability to load data into Apache Hadoop for
offline storage or to handle stream processing for Apache Storm.

== Background ==

RocketMQ was developed at Alibaba in 2011 and has been used in production
there since that time. It can process the large amounts of events generated
by various systems and provides a common repository for many types of
consumers to access and process those events. RocketMQ also handles dozens
of types of events including trade order process, search, social network
activity stream and data pipeline. Every day at Alibaba, RocketMQ clusters
process more than 500 billion events. The Alibaba Group also uses RocketMQ
to provide message services for more than 3000 core applications.

RocketMQ was developed to meet Alibaba's particular use cases to provide
low latency message delivery and high throughput message sending. Alibaba
has also created its cornerstone product based on RocketMQ, a Platform as a
Service (PaaS) product named the Alibaba Cloud Platform (
https://intl.aliyun.com/). More than 100 companies use the RocketMQ open
source version today. We believe RocketMQ can benefit more people so, we
would like to share it via the ASF and begin developing a community of
developers and users via The Apache Way.

== Rationale ==

As background description, many organizations can benefit from a low
latency, reliable, high throughput, distributed platform. Its usage is
varied and we expect many new use cases to emerge. RocketMQ provides many
features to support many use cases from enterprise application integration,
to web applications to the flourishing of IoT applications.

== Current Status ==

=== Meritocracy ===

The intent of this proposal is to start building a diverse developer and
user community around RocketMQ following the ASF meritocracy model. Since
RocketMQ was open sourced, we have solicited contributions via the website
and presentations given to user groups and technical audiences and have
received positive feedback and contributions including clients for C++ and
.NET. We plan to continue this support for new contributors and work with
those who contribute significantly to the project to encourage them to
become committers.

=== Community ===

RocketMQ is currently being developed by engineers working for Alibaba
where it is highly used in a production environment. We also have active
users in or have received contributions from a diverse set of companies
including CMBC(China Minsheng Bank), Schneider Electric(
http://www.schneider-electric.com/), the China Railway Ministry official
ticketing website, China Union, Sina, Umei (http://sh.jumei.com), Chinese
Academy of Sciences and many more. We hope to grow the base of contributors
by inviting all those who offer significant contributions and excel through
the use of The Apache Way. Contributions from outside of Alibaba are now
being received by the RocketMQ project, including a dashboard, the
flume-rocketmq module, the storm-rocketmq and more.

To further this goal, the project currently makes use of GitHub project
features as well as a public mailing list via Google Groups.

=== Core Developers ===

RocketMQ is currently being developed by engineers from Alibaba and
Yeahmobi: Xiaorui Wang, Von Gosling, Jiangwei Jiang, Xinyu Zhou, Zhanhui
Li. Xiaorui Wang, one of Alibaba MOM project owners is also the originator
of the RocketMQ project. He has rich experience with open source software,
as well as being active within the RocketMQ community. Von Gosling, another
MOM project owner at Alibaba and co-creator of the RocketMQ project, is an
active open source software committer and has been an active contributor to
several projects in Alibaba, Apache community and Google Code. Von also has
deep experience with performance tuning, distributed system design and
coding. Longda, has been involved with several open source projects
released by Alibaba,especially jstorm project, which has donated to apache.
Xinyu Zhou and Wei Zhou, They have rich experience in distributed system
design and performance tuning, especially in message queue, big data, etc.
Zhanhui Li, is a developer at Yeahmobi who has a great passion for software
engineering, especially in fields of distributed system design and
development.

=== Aligment ===

The ASF is the natural choice to host the RocketMQ project as its goal of
encouraging community-driven open source projects fits with our vision for
RocketMQ. The ASF is also the home to many other projects with which we are
familiar with and hope to integrate with RocketMQ including Apache Storm,
Flume and Hadoop. We believe that there will be mutual benefit by close
proximity to these and other projects.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned products ===

The core developers currently work full-time on the RocketMQ project for
Alibaba. RocketMQ provides a critical internal infrastructure and has been
in production use at Alibaba since 2011, so there is no concern that it
will become an orphaned project.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

The core developers are all active contributors, users and followers of
open source. They are all already committers and contributors to the
RocketMQ Github project and several of them also have experience actively
contributing to open source projects. Though the core set of developers do
not have experience at the ASF, there are plans to onboard individuals to
the project who have ASF open source experience.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

The current core developers are from Alibaba and Yeahmobi but the goal is
to establish a vibrant developer community and we will actively encourage
new contributors.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

Currently, the developers are paid to work on RocketMQ for both Alibaba and
Yeahmobi. We look forward to building a strong community around the project
in order to encourage more contributors to join the project.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

RocketMQ is not currently integrated with any other ASF projects. Although
RocketMQ has some similarities to other ASF projects as a messaging server,
it does have different design goals. Please see the table below providing
some context for simple comparison to some other Apache messaging projects
at the ASF such as ActiveMQ and Kafka (apologies for the terrible MoinMoin
table formatting, its syntax is limited. For a much better formatted table,
please see the [[
https://github.com/alibaba/RocketMQ/wiki/motivation|RocketMQ Github page]]).

 ||'''Messaging Product'''||'''Protocol and Specification'''||'''Order
Message'''||'''Message Filter'''||'''Server Triggered
Redelivery'''||'''Persistent Messaging'''||'''Retroactive
Consumers'''||'''Message Priority'''||'''High Availability and
Failover'''||'''Message Tracking'''||'''Configuration'''||'''Management and
Operation Tools'''||

 || ActiveMQ || Push model, supports OpenWire, Stomp, AMQP, HTTP, JMS, MQTT
|| Exclusive consumer or exclusive queues will ensure ordering || Supported
|| Not Supported || Supports very fast persistence using JDBC along with a
high performance journal,such as LevelDB and KahaDB || Supported ||
Supported || Supported, depending on storage, if Kahadb storage a ZooKeeper
server is required, maybe trigger split brain after rebooting half of a
two-node cluster || Not Supported || The default configuration is low
level, user need to optimize the configuration ||Supported ||

 || Kafka || Pull model, supports TCP || Ensure ordering of messages within
a partition || Supported, you can use Kafka Streams to filter messages ||
Not Supported || High performance file storage || Supported offset indicate
|| Not Supported || Supported, requires a ZooKeeper server || Not Supported
|| Kafka uses key-value pairs format for configuration. These values can be
supplied either from a file or programmatically. || Supported, use terminal
commands to expose core metrics ||

 || RocketMQ || Pull model, supports TCP, HTTP, MQTT, JMS || Ensure strict
ordering of messages, have no hot spot problem and can scale out gracefully
|| Supported, you can even upload yourself custom-built filter code
snippets || Supported || High performance and low latency file storage ||
Supported timestamp and offset 2 indicates || Not Supported ||
Supported,Master-Slave model, without anther kit || Supported || || All
configurations are off the shelf, user only needs to pay attention to a few
configurations || Supported, rich web and terminal command to expose core
metrics ||

=== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

While we respect the reputation of the Apache brand and have no doubt that
it will attract new contributors and users, our interest is primarily to
give RocketMQ a solid home as an open source project following an
established development model. More reason are provided in the Rationale
and Alignment sections.

== Documentation ==

Information about RocketMQ can be found on the Github project wiki [
https://github.com/alibaba/RocketMQ]

== Initial Source ==

RocketMQ has been under development at Alibaba since 2011. The source code
was opened up in 2012. It is currently hosted on Github using the Apache
License ([https://github.com/alibaba/RocketMQ/blob/master/LICENSE]).

== External Dependencies ==

The dependencies all have ASF compatible licenses.

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===

 * rocketmq-private (PMC discussion)
 * rocketmq-dev (developer discussion)
 * rocketmq-user (user discussion)
 * rocketmq-commits (SCM commits)
 * rocketmq-issues (JIRA issue feed)

=== Subversion Directory ===

Git is the preferred source control management system: git://
git.apache.org/RocketMQ

=== Issue Tracking ===

JIRA RocketMQ (RocketMQ)

=== Other Resources ===

The existing source code already has unit tests so we will make use of
existing Apache continuous testing infrastructure. The resulting load
should not be very large.

== Initial Committers ==

 * Xiaorui Wang <vintage.wang at gmail dot com>
 * Von Gosling <fengjia10 at gmail dot com>
 * Longda <hustjackie at gmail dot com>
 * Xinyu Zhou <zhou at xinyu dot im>
 * Zhanhui Li <lizhanhui at gmail dot com>
 * Wei Zhou <zhouwei198732 at gmail dot com>

== Affiliations ==

 * Xiaorui Wang: Alibaba
 * Von Gosling: Alibaba
 * Longda: Alibaba
 * Xinyu Zhou: Alibaba
 * Zhanhui Li: Yeahmobi
 * Wei Zhou: Alibaba
​
== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===

Bruce Snyder bsnyder@apache.org

=== Nominated Mentors ===

 * Bruce Snyder bsnyder@apache.org
 * Brian McCallister brianm@apache.org
 * Willem Ning Jiang ningjiang@apache.org
 * Luke Han lukehan@apache.org

=== Sponsoring Entity ===

We are requesting the Incubator to sponsor this project.

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,

The question about the contributors is a valid concern, and one that I
raised myself with Von. This concern is hardly any different than what has
been raised with many other project proposals to the Incubator over the
years. One reason RocketMQ is interested in The Apache Way is to grow a
diverse base of committers and contributors. There's a wealth of experience
at the ASF and inside the Incubator to help a project to evolve in a
healthy manner. My interest is to help the project embody The Apache Way.

The good thing about RocketMQ is that the contributor list is currently
rather small which means that there is plenty of room for other folks who
are interested to begin contributing and earn committership.

I will leave your other question to Von's answer previous answers and his
further explanation below.

Bruce

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
This project is great with production usage from big giant in China,
and open sourced a while. But yes, they are not connected with
entire open source world yet, but I think now it's good time and
ASF is the right place:-)

RocketMQ is good sample for people who are willing to contribute
from a big developer community in China. As our Kylin story, people
are really interesting to not only just contribute code but also entire
project.
As I know, there are many others are seeking mentors and also committers
who could help them grow their project and community.

As mentor of this project, I would like to share with my experience with the
team to help them follow the Apache Way quickly.
But they need more help from IPMC and the entire community, please let
the team know if you have interesting to help:)

Thanks.
Luke

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by vongosling <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,John,Roman:

> [...]

> > with what I see on GitHub. What am I missing?
> >

> So I think these are the same points I was bringing up as well.  I suspect
> its a case where there wasn't a ton of open source development on the
> product and it was kept internal.
>
> I'm still a bit leary about the "relationship with other apache products"
> section still.  I'm not interested in seeing how a podling competes with
> other projects (and its a bit surprising, since Bruce is the chair of one
> of the competitors), but instead how the podling has synergies with the
> other components.  I raised that they're using ASF projects today in their
> code base.
>
> Some other ways to address this section:
>
> - How can RocketMQ work with the existing Kafka or ActiveMQ communities to
> build cross platform clients?
> - How can RocketMQ look to leverage Cassandra, Geode, Derby as backend

Nothing is impossible

Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Looking forward for vote soon:)

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

It's great to have you join the mentor team.

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Justin, that's really great:)

Thanks.
luke

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by vongosling <fe...@gmail.com>.
Justin:

welcome you join our mentor list ~😊

Best Regards,

Von Gosling

> I’d like my name be added to be a Mentor to the project. Assuming the
> project is willing to have me that is :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Nothing is impossible

Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

I have added your name to the proposal.

Bruce

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by vongosling <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Guys:

I have revised a little about RocketMQ proposal, adding some text to focus
our design attention about RocketMQ. Also, we have removed some mistakenly
imported dependency.

IMO, we are ready to accept contributions from other Apache projects 😊

Thanks every apacher's advice and help, We have reason to believe RocketMQ
is walking towards a more healthy and more active direction~

Best regards~

from Von Gosling

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 3:08 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 10:26 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > ...- How can RocketMQ work with the existing Kafka or ActiveMQ
> > communities to
> > > build cross platform clients?
> > > - How can RocketMQ look to leverage Cassandra, Geode, Derby as backend
> > > persistence stores?...
> >
> > It would be wrong to require a podling to create specific modules so
> > that it plays better with other Apache projects. I'm not saying you
> > are suggesting this John, but the above questions could be interpreted
> > like that.
> >

> This question has already been clarified a second time for the proposal.
> Luke seems to have a handle on it and has made notions to update the
> proposal to sound less competitive and focus on what we typically see in
> this area.
>
> John
>

> > The ASF doesn't have a technical roadmap and doesn't influence our
> > project's technical direction - besides requirements for being serious
> > about security and quality as per
> > http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-
> maturity-model.html
> >
> > What's important IMO is whether the new podling is ready to accept
> > contributions from other Apache projects that enable things like
> > mentioned in the above questions.
> >
> > -Bertrand

Nothing is impossible

Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,
      That make sense, I agree the proposal should refine to less
competitive
but more focus on it's own design and architecture.

      Would love to see that section to be updated before vote:-)

      Thanks
Luke

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Luke, Von,

Posted by vongosling <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi, john:

--
Nothing is impossible

Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
+1

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bruce,

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Some folks may remember my state of the feather session a couple of years ago when I called for more awareness of the ASFs role in open source beyond English speaking countries. This was prompted by a fact finding trip to China.

RocketMQ and the team behind it was one of the projects I talked to. We discussed the Apache way at length, however I have not been involved with this proposal.

I'm excited to see this proposal. I hope we can bring this project and welcome the excellent team I met in China into the foundation. We will need to work hard to ensure the project is a success. Like other China born projects we will find that there are cultural differences that we need to understand, but this would not be the first time we, as a foundation and as individuals, accept an opportunity to grow in this way. Having met some of the proposing team I am confident that with the right mentors the project can succeed.

Bruce, thanks for stepping up to help.

Ross

---

wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:43 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
> > The proposal looks fine in general, but I'm slightly concerned about:
> >    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Falibaba%2FRocketMQ%2Fgraphs%2Fcontributors&data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7Cd12890186efe4c6e60c908d40597dcff%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636139597197176036&sdata=96ixj1Js5%2BytkM0Pru7nABYfTTYimOP5se5POgOMleo%3D&reserved=0
> >
> > It seems that the model so far has been -- through huge blobs of
> > code over the wall. Given that the composition of initial committers
> > is all from Alibaba I hope their mentors will spend a lot of time
> > making sure that "commit early, commit often" mentality prevails.
> >
> > In addition to that, I can't seem to reconcile the statement:
> >    "The source code was opened up in 2012."
> > with what I see on GitHub. What am I missing?
> >

> So I think these are the same points I was bringing up as well.  I suspect
> its a case where there wasn't a ton of open source development on the
> product and it was kept internal.
>
> I'm still a bit leary about the "relationship with other apache products"
> section still.  I'm not interested in seeing how a podling competes with
> other projects (and its a bit surprising, since Bruce is the chair of one
> of the competitors), but instead how the podling has synergies with the
> other components.  I raised that they're using ASF projects today in their
> code base.
>
> Some other ways to address this section:
>
> - How can RocketMQ work with the existing Kafka or ActiveMQ communities to
> build cross platform clients?
> - How can RocketMQ look to leverage Cassandra, Geode, Derby as backend
> persistence stores?
>
> etc..
>

> > Thanks,
> > Roman.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>
> > wrote:
> > > +1 !

> Apache
> > of

perl -e 'print

ActiveMQ in Action: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2je6cQ&data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7Cd12890186efe4c6e60c908d40597dcff%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636139597197176036&sdata=WObI4mpJLTWW%2Fg6%2BNB3ERPQJ6JVFuM0u4fWySbWWpGI%3D&reserved=0
Blog: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbsnyder.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7Cd12890186efe4c6e60c908d40597dcff%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636139597197176036&sdata=9EWI%2FF%2FgDyaU9qybAVHRZ%2FigY6o%2FjkAuZxilJ8uZMEg%3D&reserved=0 <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbruceblog.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7Cd12890186efe4c6e60c908d40597dcff%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636139597197176036&sdata=Vlc0l%2FVfE997etkGwBIVJ0wSQ6eDz3bPoWzeWLTl6X8%3D&reserved=0>
Twitter: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fbrucesnyder&data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7Cd12890186efe4c6e60c908d40597dcff%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636139597197176036&sdata=iCFOJzNIqieH5fJ%2BL6%2BxaVjgi8q2hiqjlc2VVerPr40%3D&reserved=0

Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.
+1 !

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Cool.

Posted by vongosling <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,John:
      1. Our mentor Luke and Willem will rectify IPMC membership
later. Thank you for reminding😀~

      2. About another mentioned product ONS( is the abbreviation for Open
Notification Service),which is maintained by Alibaba. Custom-built product for
enterprise and cloud application.It based on RocketMQ(RocketMQ not depend
ONS),adding some value added service, such as security, audit, web console
etc. We asked about RocketMQ brand thing with ASF chairman Ross when he
came to china previously,so we make another name ONS since then~

      3. Sparse revision. hah~~~ It can be talked about from la long time
ago, our one core committer commit some sensitive data in Github because
of oversight. Some one day, our Security department supervisor found me,
“Why do you commit some company related secret data to Github, Why ?” The
end of the story is the same as you think. Because revision history, we
must erase it. So we reset our commit history using git command. BTW,
RocketMQ has open source since 2012. For simplicity in local community, we
also push our code to our local famous Git repository except for Github(But
it's unlucky, we also erase it in last scavenging activity). We want to
develop borderless open source and make the same release
pace within company. So, we comply with apache way, also hope some advice
from community to help us improve our product.

     4. It was a slight overlook on my part. Derby and Apache Commons-IO
dependency can be removed(Its' useless in our latest version ). RocketMQ
uses JNA to solve the latency issue in storage, and we found that JNA also
is under the Apache Software License(
https://github.com/java-native-access/jna#license). If JNA is incompatible
with Apache License, we can replace it with JNI, actually we are planning
to do this.

Last but not important, we hope to more and more people join us, we are
always very happy to have contributions, whether for trivial cleanups, big
new features or other material rewards. For this purpose, we started one
issue thread(https://github.com/alibaba/RocketMQ/issues/353) to assemble
some enthusiast to join us. to make our community more active, to make our
service more attractive~

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Bruce,