Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/09/09 02:05:25 UTC

Release process and 4.1.3

I've looked at the Release Planning Template,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Release+Planning+Template

It is what I would want to do for a major release with user interface
changes.

We also need something far, far more agile for getting simple bug fix
releases out quickly and easily. I propose using 4.1.3 as a test case
for a stripped down process. Alternatively, this can be regarded as
adding binary distribution to the normal way ASF projects release.

The minimal process will be suitable for releases containing only a
small set of bug fix changes that do not require any changes or
additions to externally displayed strings, and do not make significant
changes to the external interface.

No string changes means we do not need the "String freeze" or
"Translation phase" steps. No significant changes to external
interfaces, combined with a small number of relatively simple fixes,
eliminates the "Beta Release" phase.

We still need to pick the bug fixes to go in the release, construct a
release candidate, test it, write release notes etc.

Re: Release process and 4.1.3

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:

> We also need something far, far more agile for getting simple bug fix
> releases out quickly and easily. I propose using 4.1.3 as a test case for a
> stripped down process.

+1

Phil
~~
This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM

Re: Release process and 4.1.3

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/09/2016 09:11 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Release+Planning+Template
>>
>> It is what I would want to do for a major release with user interface
>> changes.
>
> Yes, that one is the template for a 4.2.0, not for a 4.1.3 release.

but you still can take this list, make a copy of it and delete
everything that makes no sense for a bugfix release - you already
mentioned the string freeze and translation phases.

With some additional notses from Patricia we have then a new, smaller
list which can be put into Wiki, too.

>> We also need something far, far more agile for getting simple bug fix
>> releases out quickly and easily. I propose using 4.1.3 as a test case
>> for a stripped down process.
>
> Actually, 4.1.2 was exactly this. Your starting point should thus be
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2 ; just
> copy the wiki page and edit/generalize accordingly.

Sure, but also here no detailed instructions what exactly to do. ;-)

Patricia, I'm sorry but I think you have to ask a bit more than you
want. But you will find always a helping hand or answer here.

>> No string changes means we do not need the "String freeze" or
>> "Translation phase" steps. No significant changes to external
>> interfaces, combined with a small number of relatively simple fixes,
>> eliminates the "Beta Release" phase.
>
> This is the difference between a "micro" (third digit) and a "minor"
> (second digit) release. Calling it 4.1.3 implies all of this, barring
> exceptional situations.

in the past we have used the following release version schema:

Major releases would be a X.y.z
The X implies we have done major changes like a new program module, new
installers, micro modules instead of the big monolithic block,
changed/new API etc.

Minor releases would be a x.Y.z
This means we have improved or new features of Calc, changed shape
object in Impress, new translations which would include new strings, etc.

Micro releases would be a x.y.Z
This is taken for bugfixes only. Of course we can agree on exceptions to
include a few new strings and also translations. But it shouldn't lead
to bigger things that would be better put into a minor release.

>> We still need to pick the bug fixes to go in the release, construct a
>> release candidate, test it, write release notes etc.
>
> This is all covered in the link I sent. There might be some steps that
> need better clarification though.

Marcus

Re: Release process and 4.1.3

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> I just created an account, user name "pats".

Whitelisted.

Andrea

Re: Release process and 4.1.3

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: Release process and 4.1.3

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> On 9/9/2016 12:11 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Actually, 4.1.2 was exactly this. Your starting point should thus be
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2 ; just
>> copy the wiki page and edit/generalize accordingly.
> Can you give me a pointer to how to copy and edit confluence pages?

At first you need to login (top right); you need a whitelisted account,
so if the following instructions do not work we have to whitelist it
(create the account first; then give us the username and we will
whitelist it).

To copy a page: dots top right, then copy.

To edit a page: edit in top-right toolbar. On-line help is available for
advanced formatting features, like dates and icons. Unfortunately, I
think we are on WYSIWYG-only mode, which makes it a bit harder for those
who prefer text-based markup.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Release process and 4.1.3