Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Keith Bradnam <ke...@thale.life.nottingham.ac.uk> on 2000/08/22 10:36:12 UTC

Simple question: httpd (apache) vs httpd (mod_perl)

Hello,

My understanding of perl is minimal, my understanding of mod_perl
non-existant but I have a (simple) question that I can't find anywhere
in the FAQ.  Hopefully someone can help?

I've just installed the apache web server (1.3.12) on our Tru64 Unix box.
One of the applications we run (via the web) suggests that you install
mod_perl to increase efficiency...so I did (version 1.24).

I noticed that during the install mod_perl creates a new version of httpd
(in the src/ directory).  How is this version different to the version
that apache creates?  Should I use the latter version in preference to
the apache version?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

~  Keith Bradnam - Developer, Arabidopsis Genome Resource (AGR)
~  Nottingham Arabidopsis Stock Centre - http://nasc.nott.ac.uk/
~  University Park, University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
~  Tel: (0115) 951 3091

Re: Simple question: httpd (apache) vs httpd (mod_perl)

Posted by "Keith G. Murphy" <ke...@mindspring.com>.
Keith Bradnam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My understanding of perl is minimal, my understanding of mod_perl
> non-existant but I have a (simple) question that I can't find anywhere
> in the FAQ.  Hopefully someone can help?
>
> I've just installed the apache web server (1.3.12) on our Tru64 Unix box.
> One of the applications we run (via the web) suggests that you install
> mod_perl to increase efficiency...so I did (version 1.24).
>
> I noticed that during the install mod_perl creates a new version of httpd
> (in the src/ directory).  How is this version different to the version
> that apache creates?

It's got the Perl interpreter embedded in it.

Should I use the latter version in preference to
> the apache version?

Yes, if you want to use mod_perl.  You could also use the mod_perl
module as a DSO, which might let you use your current httpd, but there
have been some problems reported with that (may be solved, for all I
know).

Re: Simple question: httpd (apache) vs httpd (mod_perl)

Posted by Rafael Caceres <rc...@aasa.com.pe>.
Hello Keith,

We have a couple Alphas 4100 in the office with perl and mod_perl enabled
Apache. The main difference is that the mod_perl httpd has the full perl
embedded. That is, there is no need to load perl in order to execute cgi
scripts written in perl. That is a big improvement in performance.
Even more can be achieved by having the scripts remain (precompiled) in
memory as part of the httpd son processes.
On top of that your cgi scripts can interact at any stage of the Apache
request handling process, which results in an incredibly
powerfull/versatile server.
In terms of being able to use the new httpd instead of the previous (Apache
only) httpd, the answer is an absolute yes!

Regards,
Rafael Caceres