Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Paolo Rodeghiero <pa...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/17 19:35:07 UTC

Hadoop Metrics

Hi,
I'm developing on top of Hadoop for my Master final thesis, which aims
to connect theoretical MapReduce modelling to a more practical ground.
A part of the project is about analyzing the impact of some parameters
to Hadoop internals.

To do so, I need some deep understanding of the Metrics produced.
There is some sort of documentations about what a metric exactly is?
I looked for that but was unable to find it.
Should I ask to the dev list for that?

Cheers,
Paolo

Re: Hadoop Metrics

Posted by Paolo Rodeghiero <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ravi,

thanks for your reply.
I wrote also in dev list, because I saw your reply too late.
Right now I'm collecting my metrics using metrics2, and it works fine.
I'm using the 0.20.203 release with no added patches.

I own a copy of the Tom White's book, and I read most of it, as well as
all the javadoc related to metrics2.
What I'm looking for is to have at least the list of all possible
metrics (and which context produce which), their unit of measurement and
maybe a proper description, which are not included in the book.

Best regards,
Paolo

RE: Hadoop Metrics