Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/30 12:37:10 UTC

Need a mentor to guide me contribute to hadoop

Hi,
  I am pursuing my master in computer science. I would like to
contribute to the hadoop. Can someone tell me how can I find a mentor.
Thanks,
Ravi.

Re: Need a mentor to guide me contribute to hadoop

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Sure. I will definitely do that.
Ravi.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Kathey.

Ravi.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross,
I have been using Hadoop for 6 months. I have a Hadoop cluster on 4 nodes.
Till now I concentrated mainly on developing new map-reduce algorithms. I
have been reading the Hadoop code also. Since I have used Hadoop for
implementing my algos, I feel that I should contribute back to Hadoop which
helped me a lot. This is how open-source works. Give and take. Right?

Ravi.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Need a mentor to guide me contribute to hadoop

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2010 16:43, Ravi wrote:
> Mr Ross,

It's Mr. Gardler, but we don't use such formalities around here. Just
Ross ;-)

> I don't have any thing specific. I am searching to find one. However, I have
> on hadoop mailing list and closely following the issues.

Noted. expect to hear back from us soon.

Ross

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Mr Ross,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: Fwd: Need a mentor to guide me contribute to hadoop

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
We got your original mail Ravi. But it's a holiday in many parts of the
world right now. Please be patient.

Ross

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ravi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Name: Ravindrababu Ravula

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 30/12/2009 11:37, Ravi wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am pursuing my master in computer science. I would like to
> contribute to the hadoop. Can someone tell me how can I find a mentor.

Hi Ravi,

Our mentoring programme is still very young so our processes are fairly
ad-hoc right now. I'm going to start off by pointing you at the
documentation we have, but we are aware that they may not be entirely
complete so do ask for clarifications here.

Please take a look at our mentoring page at [1], if you are planning on
working on hadoop as part of your masters you should also read [2].

 From [1] you will see that you need to complete an application "form".