Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ho...@web.de on 2001/12/18 16:39:34 UTC

404 error when placing JSPs beneath WEB-INF

After reading the Struts Catalogue and having spent a good
amount of time trying to get the JSPs run under the
web-inf directory, I figured out that there has been a thread
on "Can't place JSP beneath WEB-INF in WebLogic 6.0".

I'm using BEA WL 6.1 and also have the same 404 error mentioned
in the message http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg14704.html .
However, I also tried it on Tomcat4.0 and Tomcat3.2, which both gave the
same 404 error. So it seems to be something I'm doing wrong.

Just to make sure -- I have the following setup:

1) directory structure:
- myApp
    - web-inf
        - jsp (contains one page: start.jsp)
        - lib
        - classes ...

2) struts-config.xml

<action  path="/startIt"
       type="mypackage.StartAction"
       name="theForm"
       scope="session"
	   validate="false"
	   parameter="commingIn"
       input="/web-inf/jsp/start.jsp">
    <forward name="display" path="/web-inf/jsp/start.jsp"/>
</action>

3) StartAction
perform(...){
    System.out.println("forward path: " + mapping.findForward("display").getPath());
    return (mapping.findForward(forward));
  }

which accurately prints out "path: /web-inf/jsp/start.jsp"

Bea doesn't say anything except 404 (basically).

Tomcat 3 says:
... 404 ...
Original request: /myApp/web-inf/jsp/start.jsp
Not found request: /myApp/web-inf/jsp/start.jsp

Tomcat4 brings:
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1 - HTTP Status 404 - /web-inf/jsp/start.jsp
type Status report
message /web-inf/jsp/start.jsp
description The requested resource (/web-inf/jsp/start.jsp) is not available.

The application is packed in a jar file. I checked the contents of the file.
Looks as expected (having the jsp in the web-inf/jsp directory).

It might have something to do with Win NT4, on which the servers are running.
But this is just a guess.

Help greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time,
Holger

Please respond to holger.wiechert@web.de

RE: 404 error when placing JSPs beneath WEB-INF

Posted by Tom Goemaes <to...@pandora.be>.
BEA Weblogic doesnt allow you to put these under the WEB-INF!
I tried...

so not /WEB-INF/jsp/
but /jsp/
and you have to put a security constraint on that url so for example only
the 'system' user can access it ...