Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by "Lawrence, Gabriel" <gl...@ucsd.edu> on 2003/01/31 22:24:30 UTC

Some newbie questions...

Howdy,

I'm working on adding a bunch of xml data into an xindice db... I'm
interested in being able to find a bunch of different documents based on
different criteria, and am wondering what the best strategy is...

Basically, I have an xml document that has an entry for the data that
the document was generated. Some of the queries I'd like to run would be
to find the most recently created document... or the most recent n
documents...

I don't see a way to order the results I get back from an xpath query,
or just to say give me the max or min as in SQL... I thought about
writing an XMLObject to do what I want, hoping I could have access to
the indexes themselves to use the info in them to find the right
documents, but I notice that the index API is a little restrictive...

Am I thinking wrong here? Or is this the way of things...

As a side note, it would be really cool to be able to supply some xslt
in addition to the xpath query to modify the results before they are
transmitted... again I may write an XMLObject to do this unless someone
has a better suggestion?

Thanks!

-gabe

Xindice Questions

Posted by te...@email.unc.edu.
Hello all,
I am currently a graduate student in Information Science at the
University of NC at Chapel Hill. I just starting using Xindice and
really think it's a great tool. Bravo for the Apache XML project! For a
user interface course I'm in this semester, I am planning to build a
prototype for a gui-based content management system that sits on top of
the Xindice database. I need some users though to answer a few
questions...as there obviously aren't a plethora of ppl at the
university that have ever used a native XML database :)

So, if you have a few seconds in your day for a lowly grad student, it
would be great if you could answer 7 questions about how you decided to
use a native XML database...Either fill answers out at this url:
http://www.questionbuilder.com/html/styles/corporate.shtml?cqmid=2659

or respond directly to me with answers to the questions below. I would
greatly appreciate it and I swear I won't clog up the user list again!
Additionally, the results of the survey will not be used for any
commercial purposes. They are primarily for me to get a feel of what
features would be appropriate for a GUI that works with Xindice.

Cheers,
Susan
former java developer, current grad student

QUESTIONS:
Name 2-3 reasons why you chose to use a native XML database?

Do you find a command line interface difficult to use with a native XML
database?

Would you prefer to use a GUI based interface
for database management (i.e., a content management system
that sits on the Xindice database)?

Do you currently use a content management tool or database management
tool for organizing and managing XML documents?

If so, which tools do you use?

List 3-4 tasks you do on a daily basis with the Xindice database.

METS Records

Posted by Gul Akbar <G....@Bradford.ac.uk>.
Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience with METS (Metadata Encoding & Transmission
Standards) records. This is where one record points to another in a structured
approach.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how I would store these records in the
Xindice database.
[http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/]

This mail sent through IMP: webmail.brad.ac.uk