Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com> on 2018/03/09 22:07:20 UTC

[NOTICE] enable error-prone checks on precommit

Hi devs,

Over on HBASE-20153[1] I put up a patch to include error-prone[2] compiler
checks on precommit. Wanted to send out a note to the dev list to make sure
people saw it and understood what was happening, and so there would be less
surprise if things start failing.

Over the past several months, a few developers have been toiling at getting
these additional bugs out of our code. Let's respect their efforts and help
make sure bugs don't creep back in by adding them to precommit.

Important things to be aware of:
* We do more checking and analysis, so it slows compilation down ~5 minutes
for the whole project.
* The error messages usually have links to a wiki page explaining what is
wrong, so they're not that scary.
* You can run your build with -PerrorProne to get the same locally

If there are concerns, please let me know before this is pushed!

Mike

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20153
[2]: http://errorprone.info/

Re: [NOTICE] enable error-prone checks on precommit

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Very nice Mr. Drob.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Sounds beneficial to me and worth the time to run it. Thanks for the
heavy lifting and the head's up!