Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com> on 2008/02/01 16:41:05 UTC

Re: [doc] A better javadoc?

Tim,

I won't get your hopes too high, but if you really need this, I can play
some tricks to make these docs more readable by:
- adding styles to color- and font-separate parts of info
- adding a TOC on the left instead of those tabs, TOC can be a drop-down
menu which also acts as a list of classes
- adding a small frame which shows members of a class and each member on a
separate page instead of all functions on one page (i have only done this
for C code so far, but Java should also be ok)
- looking at current markup and suggesting changes that Doxygen would
understand better (we could then accumulate those changes and make them a
cleanup script; it won't always work because diff authors use diff markups,
but some things it'll fix for sure)
- i don't know, play some more...

--
Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [doc] A better javadoc?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> 2008/2/12, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
>> (Having a conversation with myself here :-)
>>
>> Take a look at
>>        http://www.jdocs.com/harmony/5.M5/overview-summary.html
>>
>> for the first attempt at generating our documentation for JDocs.
>> I uploaded the current HEAD, together with the corresponding source
>> code.  I called it M5 in anticipation but will refresh it and 'launch'
>> the doc site officially after we declare the milestone.
>>
>> Have a click around to see what you think.  Comments on the site
>> usability/behavior can be sent to the "jdocs-feedback" mail box at
>> dzone.com.  Comments on the quality of the javadoc comments can be
>> posted here!
>>
>> (Just beware that Sun source is also on the site, so check you are
>> looking at the right version.)
>
> Yep, very actual warning - many links in docs are pointing to Sun JDK
> unexpectedly, it is quite easy to jump away from Harmony without ever
> noticing.

I'll our observations on to the JDocs guys.  I can fix it by making
Harmony (and not OpenJDK) a favorite, then selecting search in favorites
only -- but I agree it is misleading otherwise.

> BTW, no inheritance info for Harmony, is it just happened to be turned
> off in generation script?

Erm, not sure, I'll take a look.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [doc] A better javadoc?

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/12, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> (Having a conversation with myself here :-)
>
> Take a look at
>        http://www.jdocs.com/harmony/5.M5/overview-summary.html
>
> for the first attempt at generating our documentation for JDocs.
> I uploaded the current HEAD, together with the corresponding source
> code.  I called it M5 in anticipation but will refresh it and 'launch'
> the doc site officially after we declare the milestone.
>
> Have a click around to see what you think.  Comments on the site
> usability/behavior can be sent to the "jdocs-feedback" mail box at
> dzone.com.  Comments on the quality of the javadoc comments can be
> posted here!
>
> (Just beware that Sun source is also on the site, so check you are
> looking at the right version.)

Yep, very actual warning - many links in docs are pointing to Sun JDK
unexpectedly, it is quite easy to jump away from Harmony without ever
noticing.
BTW, no inheritance info for Harmony, is it just happened to be turned
off in generation script?

Thanks,
Alexey

Re: [doc] A better javadoc?