Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Arkady Kasianski <Ar...@Amdocs.com> on 2007/12/18 19:29:32 UTC

WS-Addressing

I have to expose some Java method as an asynchronous Web service.
WS-Addressing must be supported. An implementation code of this method
should  retrieve  somehow WS-A replyTo information and call another Web
service on replyTo URL to push the results.

I was asked to use WS-A for that and NOT provide explicitly in API
special parameter with addressing information.

Here are my questions :

1.     Can I use WS-Addressing for  that?  I am doubt.  As I understand
the goal of WS-Addressing spec is to allow sender to send a message to a
recipient without having to care about the message routing details. The
WS infrastructure can decide how to address message using as many
intermediaries as necessary.
This addressing is transparent for both sender and recipient application
code. What I am  trying to do is to use WS-Addressing for application
level dispatching ...

Is it correct ?

2.     If API is not one-way, WS infrastructure automatically recognize
replyTo header and send response to it. Can I avoid it ?

3.     How can I access WS-A headers in the application code? (I do not
want to use JAX-RPC handlers - put them on TLS and access this local
storage from the application code). Can I do it another way?

Re: WS-Addressing

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I'll try to answer your questions!

> I have to expose some Java method as an asynchronous Web service.
> WS-Addressing must be supported. An implementation code of this method
> should  retrieve  somehow WS-A replyTo information and call another Web
> service on replyTo URL to push the results.

Yes this is exactly what WS-A does.

> I was asked to use WS-A for that and NOT provide explicitly in API special
> parameter with addressing information.

Good idea - if the operation is really a request/response, the WS-A
lets you do this in a standard way.

> Here are my questions :
> 1.     Can I use WS-Addressing for  that?

>  This addressing is transparent for both sender and recipient application
> code. What I am  trying to do is to use WS-Addressing for application level
> dispatching …

I don't understand what you mean as application level dispatching.

> 2.     If API is not one-way, WS infrastructure automatically recognize
> replyTo header and send response to it. Can I avoid it ?

Why do you want to avoid it?

The main question I have is whether the replyto endpoint is on the
same system that issued the request. Are there two parties working
asynchronously or three parties?

> 3.     How can I access WS-A headers in the application code? (I do not want
> to use JAX-RPC handlers – put them on TLS and access this local storage from
> the application code). Can I do it another way?

Yes in Axis2 you can set and get WSA headers without writing handlers.

You might want to look at these resources:
http://wso2.org/library/2774
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-address.html

Paul
--