Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Peter Palaga <pp...@redhat.com> on 2020/09/24 20:15:08 UTC

Component pages and supported platforms

Hi,

as pre-discussed with some of you, we'd like to add links from component
pages (such as
https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/activemq-component.html ) to
the Camel Quarkus extension page providing support for the given
component (such as
https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/reference/extensions/activemq.html
)

Technically, we can leverage the Camel Quarkus metadata included in the
component pages since this recent PR:
https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/4288/files (Thanks David Jencks for
helping with that!) We can write an ad hoc AsciiDoc extension that adds
links based on that metadata. I'd work on this unless somebody has a
better idea?

While I have some technical vision, I am not sure at all, where to put
the links in the current layout and what they should look like. I'd be
thankful for any suggestions.

The current layout of the component pages is a bit Spring Boot centric
and I wonder whether we should make it more platform neutral, where all
supported platforms (SB, Karaf and Quarkus) are listed in a visually
balanced way?

Thanks,

-- Peter

Re: Component pages and supported platforms

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Can you explain a bit how the “select-your-runtime” would look?  If it just selects which links are visible that doesn’t seem very useful, but e.g. the quarkus info is not 1-1 with components so including it doesn’t seem quite right.

David Jencks

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
The component pages are already partially generated.  I was thinking that the easy way to do this would be to add to the generated bits something like

ifdef::cq-attribute-id[This is included in the camel-quarkus extension xref:….]
ifndef::cq-attribute-id[This is not yet supported in camel-quarkus.]

I think that would be considerably easier than an extension, but I think an extension would also work.

And yet another possibility….

- Use asciidoctor-template <https://gitlab.com/djencks/asciidoctor-template> to define a template including the above ifdef/ifndef
- put the template definition in a partial
- include the template definition right after the header in every page
- put the use of the template wherever you want in the page.

Let me know if you’d like me to show what this would look like.

David Jencks