Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Saw Chee Hong <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/07 05:53:40 UTC

Apache Tomcat Windows Installer Insecure Password Vulnerability

I seen this at one of apache website.

*[Summary]*
Apache Tomcat is prone to an insecure-password vulnerability in the Windows
installer.  The administrative password defaults to a blank password during
the install process.

Attackers may exploit this issue to obtain administrative access to the
application.  Other attacks may also be possible.
*
[Affected Version]*
Tomcat 6.0.0 through 6.0.20 and Tomcat 5.5.0 through 5.5.28 are vulnerable;
Unsupported versions in the 3.x, 4.x, 4.1.x, and 5.0.x branches may also be
affected.

*
[Solution/Workaround]*

The following workarounds are available:

1. Install the application via the .zip or .tar.gz distributions instead of
using the Windows installer method.

2. Remove the 'admin' user from 'tomcat-users.xml' after the Windows
installer has completed.

3. Edit the 'tomcat-users.xml' file to provide the 'admin' user with a
strong password after the Windows installer has completed.

Currently mytomcat version was 5.0.27. I have check the ‘tomcat-users.xml’
file and it doesn’t consist the ‘admin’ user in the file.

Does this mean that my tomcat is safe?

Thank you for answering my question.

Best Regards,
Saw Chee Hong

Re: Apache Tomcat Windows Installer Insecure Password Vulnerability

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Apache Tomcat Windows Installer Insecure Password Vulnerability

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 07/12/2009 04:53, Saw Chee Hong wrote:
> I seen this at one of apache website.
>
> *[Summary]*
> Apache Tomcat is prone to an insecure-password vulnerability in the Windows
> installer.  The administrative password defaults to a blank password during
> the install process.
>
> Attackers may exploit this issue to obtain administrative access to the
> application.  Other attacks may also be possible.
> *
> [Affected Version]*
> Tomcat 6.0.0 through 6.0.20 and Tomcat 5.5.0 through 5.5.28 are vulnerable;
> Unsupported versions in the 3.x, 4.x, 4.1.x, and 5.0.x branches may also be
> affected.
>
> *
> [Solution/Workaround]*
>
> The following workarounds are available:
>
> 1. Install the application via the .zip or .tar.gz distributions instead of
> using the Windows installer method.
>
> 2. Remove the 'admin' user from 'tomcat-users.xml' after the Windows
> installer has completed.
>
> 3. Edit the 'tomcat-users.xml' file to provide the 'admin' user with a
> strong password after the Windows installer has completed.
>
> Currently mytomcat version was 5.0.27. I have check the ‘tomcat-users.xml’
> file and it doesn’t consist the ‘admin’ user in the file.

Then you are not at risk from *this particular* issue.

> Does this mean that my tomcat is safe?

No idea.  That's too open ended a question - we can't tell what else
you've done to it.