Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Philip Anil-QBW348 <an...@motorolasolutions.com> on 2011/02/01 00:53:00 UTC

cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. Java 1.6.0.23. Tomcat 7.0.6

I ran the Windows Service installer on XP and was able to set up the
server and bring up the Welcome page (http://localhost. I set default
port to 80).

I did the same on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and it does not bring up
the web page. I get "Under Construction. The site you are trying to view
does not have a default page."

I ran the monitor and ensured that the server was started and tried to
bring up the Welcome page - to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

RE: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Posted by Philip Anil-QBW348 <an...@motorolasolutions.com>.
I do understand that ' A "default web page" does not "camp on" any particular port.'.
I was describing what I saw in the IIS inetmgr GUI. It shows
default web page...........port 80
I selected it and chose Delete.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Brett Delle Grazie [mailto:brett.dellegrazie@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
>
>> On 1 February 2011 16:50, Philip Anil-QBW348
>> <an...@motorolasolutions.com> wrote:
>>> I found, using netstat, that process with pid 4 opened port 80. I killed
>>> the process tree from Task Manager and the system shut down saying it
>>> was a system critical process (DCOM).
>
>> Might be malware...
>
> Are you referring to IIS?

One could argue about that.

Anil, when Chuck mentioned to "get rid of it", he did not necessarily mean to use "kill".

The following command will show you exactly which process (PID and program) is using which
port(s).  The ones you should look at are the ones showing "LISTEN" in the column before last.

netstat -aobn -p tcp

RE: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Brett Delle Grazie [mailto:brett.dellegrazie@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

> On 1 February 2011 16:50, Philip Anil-QBW348
> <an...@motorolasolutions.com> wrote:
> > I found, using netstat, that process with pid 4 opened port 80. I killed
> > the process tree from Task Manager and the system shut down saying it
> > was a system critical process (DCOM).

> Might be malware...

Are you referring to IIS?

 - Chuck

Re: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Posted by Brett Delle Grazie <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards,

Brett Delle Grazie

RE: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Posted by Philip Anil-QBW348 <an...@motorolasolutions.com>.
I found, using netstat, that process with pid 4 opened port 80. I killed
the process tree from Task Manager and the system shut down saying it
was a system critical process (DCOM).
Anil

> I did the same on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and it does not bring up
> the web page. I get "Under Construction. The site you are trying to
view
> does not have a default page."

Sounds like you have something else listening on port 80 - likely IIS.
Use netstat to find out what's preempting Tomcat and get rid of it.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.
That message sounds like IIS's default site page.
Stop IIS if you don't need it for something else.
If you do, you've got some reading & thinking to do.

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.