Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jon Skeet <jo...@peramon.com> on 2001/10/10 15:50:05 UTC

RE: can I use email and message buffer as appenders?

> I'm new to log4j, so forgive me if this is a stupid question,
> but how can I use email as an appender?

See org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender.

> Also can I use an in-memory buffer as an
> appender, and then retrieve the contents of that buffer at a
> later stage?

It should be fairly simple to subclass WriterAppender to use a
StringWriter, then retrieve the data from that writer later on. You'd
probably want some kind of reset mechanism, too.

> Does anyone know of any other resources for learning about
> log4j (I have
> read Ceki Gulcu's short introduction, which was good to understand the
> basics, but now I feel I need a bit more information)..

Read the source and javadoc? Seriously, it's how I learned a bit more
about what goes on under the covers.

Ceki is currently writing a fuller manual, I believe.

Jon