Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil Schumm <ps...@uchicago.edu> on 2008/01/01 17:39:55 UTC

Re: test failures on OS X 10.4.11 with Python 2.5.1

On Dec 29, 2007, at 3:59 PM, Lieven Govaerts wrote:
> The 'parallel' mode was never backported to 1.4.x, so the patch you
> refer to is only applicable to trunk and not related to the issue
> you're seeing.
>
> I've personally never tried running the tests over python 2.5.x. Do
> you get the same failures with python 2.3.5?

Thanks very much for your reply.  And, to answer your question, no --
I don't get these failures with Python 2.3.5 (stock installation on
OS X 10.4).  Interestingly, I have now repeated the process several
times, and have observed that the specific tests that fail are a bit
different each time, though they always fail with the same type of
error:

   File "/usr/local/src/subversion-1.4.6/subversion/tests/cmdline/
svntest/main.py", line 286, in run_command_stdin
     pid, wait_code = os.wait()
OSError: [Errno 10] No child processes

Also, I can reduce the number of failures by increasing the load on
the machine (i.e., loading with other concurrent processes, switching
to battery power to reduce the processor speed), and, in some cases,
even eliminate all of the failures entirely (i.e., resulting in all
tests passing).  Thus, I don't believe these are real test failures,
but rather an intermittent problem with the testing framework
itself.  FWIW, this is a PowerBook G4 (10.4.11), and I'm compiling
with gcc 4.0.1 (latest update of developer tools).

I apologize in advance for following immediately with another
question, but, unfortunately, I am now having problems getting the
Python bindings to compile.  As before, this process all worked fine
on the same machine immediately beforehand with Python 2.3.5.  With
Python 2.5.1, when I run "make swig-py", the compiler runs for a
while, but then dies with this message:

lipo: can't open input file: /var/tmp//cczAWRg4.out (No such file or
directory)
make: *** [subversion/bindings/swig/python/_core.la] Error 1

I checked, and the file subversion/bindings/swig/python/_core.la does
not in fact exist, though I noticed that in my previous Subversion
installation (Python 2.3.5) it did.  Also, FWIW, this error was
preceded by several warnings of the following basic types (all just
examples):

./subversion/bindings/swig/python/svn_client.c:1193: warning:
initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type

libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
darwin8/4.0.1/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset

/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning ../../../../
subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py/.libs/
libsvn_swig_py-1.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match
cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

I have no idea whether any of these are expected, or whether they are
related to the terminal error. Any suggestions for how to go about
diagnosing (and hopefully correcting) this problem would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks again,

-- Phil

P.S. In case it's helpful, here's my configure invocation:

   $ ./configure --without-berkeley-db --with-ssl --with-zlib PYTHON=/
Library/Frameworks/Python.frame
work/Versions/2.5/ --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-
apr=/usr/local/apache2 --with-apr-
util=/usr/local/apache2 --with-neon=/usr/local --with-swig=/usr/local
--enable-swig-bindings=python
-prefix=/usr/local CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

The CFLAGS setting is because I have gettext installed on the
machine, and, without it, "make swig-py" complains that it can't find
libintl.h.  Alternatively, I have also tried just disabling gettext
support entirely (i.e., with --disable-nls).  This seems to have no
effect on the error described above.

Re: test failures on OS X 10.4.11 with Python 2.5.1

Posted by Phil Schumm <ps...@uchicago.edu>.
On Jan 1, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> This type of error usually means you are attempting to compile a
> piece of software as a universal binary, but one of its
> dependencies is not compiled as a universal binary.

Thanks for the info.

> I think it would be simpler if you just install the MacPorts
> package manager and use it to install Subversion and whatever
> bindings you want.
>
> http://www.macports.org/
>
> sudo port install subversion
> sudo port install subversion-python25bindings
>
> If you have any questions about MacPorts, come on over to the
> macports-users mailing list.

Thanks also for the suggestion, and I'll seriously consider it.  We
have always built everything from scratch on our servers (for the
flexibility), and I typically try to keep my machine built as closely
as possible to facilitate testing and development.  But, I should
certainly take some time to learn more about MacPorts.

-- Phil

Re: test failures on OS X 10.4.11 with Python 2.5.1

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 1, 2008, at 11:39, Phil Schumm wrote:

> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning ../../../../
> subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py/.libs/
> libsvn_swig_py-1.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not
> match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

This type of error usually means you are attempting to compile a
piece of software as a universal binary, but one of its dependencies
is not compiled as a universal binary.

> I have no idea whether any of these are expected, or whether they
> are related to the terminal error. Any suggestions for how to go
> about diagnosing (and hopefully correcting) this problem would be
> very much appreciated.

> P.S. In case it's helpful, here's my configure invocation:
>
>   $ ./configure --without-berkeley-db --with-ssl --with-zlib
> PYTHON=/Library/Frameworks/Python.frame
> work/Versions/2.5/ --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-
> apr=/usr/local/apache2 --with-apr-
> util=/usr/local/apache2 --with-neon=/usr/local --with-swig=/usr/
> local --enable-swig-bindings=python
> -prefix=/usr/local CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
>
> The CFLAGS setting is because I have gettext installed on the
> machine, and, without it, "make swig-py" complains that it can't
> find libintl.h.  Alternatively, I have also tried just disabling
> gettext support entirely (i.e., with --disable-nls).  This seems to
> have no effect on the error described above.

I think it would be simpler if you just install the MacPorts package
manager and use it to install Subversion and whatever bindings you want.

http://www.macports.org/

sudo port install subversion
sudo port install subversion-python25bindings

If you have any questions about MacPorts, come on over to the
macports-users mailing list.

(I will tell you before you get started, however, that you should
remove (or move aside) /usr/local before trying to use MacPorts,
otherwise MacPorts-installed software will inadvertently start using
things in /usr/local which will cause strange and exciting problems.)