Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Charles E. James" <ce...@berkeley.edu> on 2008/02/08 16:42:49 UTC

Dump repos to project in another repos

Good Morning, svn-users-group

Let me introduce myself. I am a IT guy who has been  tasked with
administering the svn repository at UC Berkeley IST Application Services
department. I know little to nothing about svn except the rudiments of
processing new user requests, doing the secure key exchange, set up of
eclipse/subclipse and a couple of other simple tasks.

I was asked to move a repository from one location in svn to a project
level in another repository:

/Repos to move: /svn/dsas
Location to move it to: /svn/path/to/new/repos/dsas

I tired to use this command:

svnadmin dump /svn/dsas | \
svnadmin load /svn/path/to/new/repos/as/pctrl-sandbox//

and what it did was put the entire repos structure in the sandbox and
not in the dsas project directory which I assumed would happen since I
named the dsas directory. When I attempted to do:

/svnadmin dump /svn/dsas | \
svnadmin load /svn/path/to/new/repos/as/pctrl-sandbox/dsas/

in order to get it all inside the dsas directory I got:

/svnadmin: Can't open file
'///svn/path/to/new/repos///as/pctrl-sandbox/dsas/format': No such file
or directory
svnadmin: Can't write to stream: Broken pipe
/
Can someone be so kind as to direct me to the proper answer to this
problem?

Respectfully,

Charles

Charles E. James
IST/ASD/Quality Assurance and Release Engineering
(Formally Student Information Systems)
U. C. Berkeley California
Wk: 510-642-8440 Cell: 510-409-6560

"Skill cannot be taught or learned,
it can only be acquired,
through long training and practice." - Karl F. Friday

"If you know the art of breathing
you have the strength, wisdom, and courage
of ten tigers." - Anonymous Chinese Adage

Re: Dump repos to project in another repos

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:42, Charles E. James wrote:

> I was asked to move a repository from one location in svn to a
> project level in another repository:
>
> /Repos to move: /svn/dsas
> Location to move it to: /svn/path/to/new/repos/dsas
>
> I tired to use this command:
>
> svnadmin dump /svn/dsas | \
> svnadmin load /svn/path/to/new/repos/as/pctrl-sandbox//
>
> and what it did was put the entire repos structure in the sandbox
> and not in the dsas project directory which I assumed would happen
> since I named the dsas directory. When I attempted to do:
>
> /svnadmin dump /svn/dsas | \
> svnadmin load /svn/path/to/new/repos/as/pctrl-sandbox/dsas/
>
> in order to get it all inside the dsas directory I got:
>
> /svnadmin: Can't open file '///svn/path/to/new/repos///as/pctrl-
> sandbox/dsas/format': No such file or directory
> svnadmin: Can't write to stream: Broken pipe
> /
> Can someone be so kind as to direct me to the proper answer to this
> problem?

Hi Charles. I believe you want:

svnadmin dump /svn/dsas | \
svnadmin load /svn/path/to/new/repos \
--parent-dir /path/within/new/repos

See "svnadmin help load".

I assume you've been doing your existing tests on copies of your
target repository, so that you can do the above on a version of the
repository that does not already contain your previous import
attempts. If that's not the case, then it sounds like you have
already imported the data into the target repository, albeit perhaps
not to the exact place you wanted, and if so, then you can simply
"svn mv" it within the new repository so it's where you want it. This
will take up virtually no additional space in the repository, whereas
if you were to load the old repository in again, it would take up
that much space in the new repository again.

You may want to read more of the Subversion book if you need to do
more Subversion administration tasks; it's quite comprehensive:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/index.html