Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Frank Apap <fs...@columbia.edu> on 2000/03/06 19:42:50 UTC

Some help requested,

Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions, but I have
had a REALLY hard time finding answers to my tomcat question.

I have 2 issues, after installing tomcat+apache the JSP examples work but
the servlet examples give me a 404 error any ideas why?

My second question is, can someone explain what files I need to edit, and
what I need to do, to setup the jsps to work in different directories.  As
of now only jsps in the /opt/tomcat/examples directory work.  I want to
setup a web-app in the /var/www/mywebapp directory and am confused how.

Thanks for the help

 Frank

Re: Some help requested,

Posted by Brian Homrich <bh...@21stcentury.net>.
Mike/Frank/Anyone,

I'm having the same (404 error on the servlets from the examples in the install)
problem
that Frank is and the FAQ does NOT address the situation:

>> * One, the URL you typed was wrong or has a typo.
URL is from the EXAMPLE html page for the servlets being installed from the rpm.
Not typing anything and, if this is a typo, does that mean that the rpm is built
with a typo?  Doubtful... Plus, I installed the same rpm on another Linux system
and verified
the install by trying the servlets.  They worked there in the same situation
(install rpm, start server, try examples...)

>>   * Two, the URL you requested could not be resolved with
>>     the current "docBase". If you are trying to run your own
>>     "web-application" please read  the questions related to
>>     "installing your own web-application" in this FAQ.

Can't speak for Frank, but I'm using the EXAMPLE servlets. and the configuration
provided by the binary install where docBase="examples".  Again, this was the
configuration provided by the rpm.  I doubt very much that the rpm is wrong...

   * Three, you're using JDK 1.1.x on a Windows platform. It's
     a known bug (see Readme) that the server doesn't serve files
     in this configuration. Use JDK 1.2.x instead.
   * Four, on a Windows platform you have installed Tomcat in
     a directory with a path part longer than 8 characters, e.g.
     C:\Program Files\jakarta, and run the "startup" script from
     a command tool after you have cd'd to the directory using
     the short form of the name, e.g.

Running on RedHat 6.1 (have Apache 1.3.9 installed, but going directly to Tomcat
(port 8080)), not on Windows of any form...

   * Five, on a Unix platform, you are attempting to access a file
     that is a symbolic link.

I'm attempting to access the EXAMPLE servlets, and the rpm doesn't install
symlinks
for anything in the example code.  Don't think it's this one either...

Just because something is a Frequently Asked Question doesn't mean that the
solution
is in the FAQ Answers compiled so far...

Frank, can you describe in detail the system you are running on?

Hardware, OS, etc.

Maybe we're doing the same silly thing, and someone will see it and point it
out...

Thanks in Advance,
Brian Homrich

Re: Some help requested,

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Frank Apap wrote:

> Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask these questions, but I have
> had a REALLY hard time finding answers to my tomcat question.
>
> I have 2 issues, after installing tomcat+apache the JSP examples work but
> the servlet examples give me a 404 error any ideas why?
This is the first item of the FAQ that is in the docs directory.

> My second question is, can someone explain what files I need to edit, and
> what I need to do, to setup the jsps to work in different directories.  As
> of now only jsps in the /opt/tomcat/examples directory work.  I want to
> setup a web-app in the /var/www/mywebapp directory and am confused how.
These are questions 6 & 7 of the FAQ that is in the docs directory.

Read the FAQ

Mike