Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/25 03:29:53 UTC

retiring the changelog file

Hi team, we have a "ChangeLog" file in the root folder that is
apparently (?) updated whenever someone makes a commit.  I don't see a
need for it, and none of the other Apache projects I'm aware of bothers
with such a file -- it's annoying needing to update it and it just seems
to be unnecessary overhead.  Can we get rid of it?

So long as you make comments when you commit, here is a 100.0%
authoritative and chronological list of all commits made and what they
involve:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-jspwiki-commits/201301.mbox/browser

And of course the SVN repository details the changes made to each
specific file fully and accurately:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/src/webdocs/Error.jsp?view=log

Finally, JIRA nicely provides us a list of commits per release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Achangelog-panel

That should be good enough for us.  WDYT?

Regards,
Glen

Re: retiring the changelog file

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi Glen,

thanks for pointing out - I'm old-fashioned and magnetic tapes were
highly fashionable and punch cards still in use when I started coding
... :-).

Going back to the discussion - let's avoid mixing up intention and
tools. My intention is visibility of a casual committer who only adds
one or two bug fixes and I have the habit of honoring this small
contribution in changes.xml since it becomes part of the site. I don't
care how it's done ... ;-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl
Senile Software Engineer

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
[-1]

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <sg...@gmx.at>.
Hi Glen,

there are two different options

1) maintain changes.xml manually
2) create the changes.xml directly from JIRA

Unfortunately I never got 2) to work - having said that I would like to
re-ask the question - "how do I ensure that a contributor's name show up
on project?". I know it sounds a bit odd but I'm also helping out with
Hackergarden events and one thing I want to ensure is public visibility
of these events. Contributers are rightly proud if the helped out on an
ASF project ... ;-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.