Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/11/25 23:24:25 UTC

[proposal] avalon util

This is a heads up that I want to go ahead and shift some of the general
utilities that are currently in Merlin up to the avalon level.  In
particular I want to create the cvs package avalon/util containing the
current avalon/merlin/util content.  This will make things a lot cleaner
in that the new repository package will be independent of the Merlin CVS.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [proposal] avalon util

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> This is a heads up that I want to go ahead and shift some of the
>> general utilities that are currently in Merlin up to the avalon
>> level.  In particular I want to create the cvs package avalon/util
>> containing the current avalon/merlin/util content.  This will make
>> things a lot cleaner in that the new repository package will be
>> independent of the Merlin CVS.
>

> wouldn't it make more sense to put this inside of excalibur and/or
> cornerstone?

The utilities themselves are not components.

Here is a summary:

  avalon/util/defaults - 4 classes dealing with defaults from properties
  avalon/util/env - 1 class handling environment variables
  avalon/util/exception - 1 class with exception reporting

These utilities are used in both the repository package and merlin - and
as a result of Alex inverting everything with his changes to repository,
we now have the situation where it is the repository that is creating
merlin (as oppossed to the current system where merlin in controlling
everything).  This is actually really nice because the new repo is only
dependent on a few utilities and the bootstrap system bundles these in
its jar file so that you end up with a single boostap jar (about 45k)
that can launch Fortress, Merlin, whatever. I'm currently working my way
through refactoring the Merlin Kernel creation using the new repo
platform and once that's done I'll be looking to release repo as an
avalon container facility before hitting the next Merlin release.

Anyway - concerning Excalibur - I figure that there is some shaking down
to be done and that we will see some content moving to
avalon-components, some content (such as i18n ) moving into avalon/util,
etc. - but that's another thread.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: [proposal] avalon util

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> This is a heads up that I want to go ahead and shift some of the general
> utilities that are currently in Merlin up to the avalon level.  In
> particular I want to create the cvs package avalon/util containing the
> current avalon/merlin/util content.  This will make things a lot cleaner
> in that the new repository package will be independent of the Merlin CVS.

wouldn't it make more sense to put this inside of excalibur and/or
cornerstone?

anyway, no biggie, go ahead!

- LSD

Re: [proposal] avalon util

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 26 November 2003 06:24, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> This is a heads up that I want to go ahead and shift some of the general
> utilities that are currently in Merlin up to the avalon level.  In
> particular I want to create the cvs package avalon/util containing the
> current avalon/merlin/util content.  This will make things a lot cleaner
> in that the new repository package will be independent of the Merlin CVS.

+1