Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> on 2010/02/24 23:25:59 UTC

[Fwd: Re: Apache NTLM implementations]

FYI
Karl

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Apache NTLM implementations
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:24:48 -0500
From: Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>
To: legal-discuss@apache.org

Karl Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I work with the Lucene Connector Framework project.  Reviewers here want
> to know if there's any controlling legal ASF document that describes the
> policy of Apache vis-a-vis native Apache-licensed NTLM implementations.
> Does anyone know of such a document?
>
> Thanks,
> Karl Wright

For clarification -

As part of the software grant from MetaCarta, Inc. to ASF, as the foundation of Lucene Connector
Framework, a full and copyright-unencumbered client-side implementation of NTLM as a patch for
Apache HttpClient was also granted.  This functionality is essential for the functioning of the
following connectors:

- LiveLink
- SharePoint
- RSS (where Windows proxies are involved)
- Web (where NTLM-protected content is involved)
- Meridio

As part of the initial phase of development, I submitted this implementation to the HttpClient
project, and received advice that it could not be accepted because of Apache policy pertaining to
potential issues of IP infringement.  Given that it is my understanding that it is currently not
possible to patent a protocol, but only a specific implementation of a protocol, I wanted to confirm
that this was indeed the case, and read up on the Apache policies involved.

Thanks again,
Karl Wright