Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jake341 <Ja...@vcint.com> on 2007/11/25 18:03:26 UTC

Dependency Browser Tool

We have developed tool that allows us to browse the dependency tree for a
selected pom.  It lists the artifacts, versions and artifacts with more that
one version.  We use it for finding where a dependency is coming from and
for resolving conflicting version (convergence) issues.  The tools is Java
1.4.2/Swing.

The source and compiled jars available at:

http://maven-dependency-browser.googlecode.com

Issues, comments and feature suggestions welcome.

Jake

http://www.nabble.com/file/p13937357/screenshot.jpg

Re: Dependency Browser Tool

Posted by Julien CARSIQUE <jc...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi,

+1 for the idea of making a dependency:resolve-gui goal; it would be
nice :-)

I have a problem testing your tool : it doesn't seem to properly manage
properties.
I don't know if it comes from your code or maven-model but there's an
issue having in a pom.xml something like this :
    <properties>
       <module1.version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</module1.version>
    </properties>
    <modules>
       <module>module1</module>
       <module>module2</module>
    </modules>
    <dependencyManagement>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
            <groupId>group1</groupId>
            <artifactId>module1</artifactId>
            <version>${module1.version}</version>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </dependencyManagement>

Both module1 and module2 use this pom as parent and module2 has module1
as a dependency.

I get the following error and, running it from eclipse, I can see the
tool finds two versions for module1 : "1.0-SNAPSHOT" and
"${module1.version}".

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:277)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.implementations.local.LocalDiskRepository.resolveFile(LocalDiskRepository.java:29)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.controller.ArtifactResolver.resolveFile(ArtifactResolver.java:93)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.controller.ArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(ArtifactResolver.java:64)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.controller.Controller.resolveArtifact(Controller.java:109)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.model.PomFile.resolveDependencies(PomFile.java:26)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.model.RootPom.resolveDependencies(RootPom.java:35)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.controller.Controller.loadPom(Controller.java:50)
        at
org.maven.dependencybrowser.gui.DependencyBrowserGui$4.actionPerformed(DependencyBrowserGui.java:136)

I've tested on multiple projects (all defined in a similar way and got
the same result); of course, the projects I tested your tool on are
working with maven and most plugins.

Re: Dependency Browser Tool

Posted by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no>.

Re: Dependency Browser Tool

Re: Dependency Browser Tool

Posted by jake pezaro <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependency Browser Tool

Posted by Martin Gilday <ma...@imap.cc>.
Looks like it could be very useful, hunting down rogue transitive
dependencies can be painful at times.  Is there any reason this isn't a