Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Dooley, Ryan" <do...@missouri.edu> on 2001/07/17 21:25:02 UTC

CGI's, symlinks, and configurations oh my...

Hi,

If this is the wrong list please let me know...

Heres' the setup of apache_1.3.20 and redhat linux 7.1

Users's home dir is in /home but is a symlink to some other place (ie,
/home/foobar -> /users/r/foobar) which is managed by amd (from
http://www.am-utils.org/).

Apache has been setup with the following directive in httpd.conf

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

and

<Directory /home/*/www>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec ExecCGI
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

Which produces the error

[Tue Jul 17 14:13:09 2001] [error] (1)Operation not permitted: exec of
/home/foobar/www/helloworld.cgi failed
[Tue Jul 17 14:13:09 2001] [error] [client 128.206.94.220] Premature end of
script headers: /home/foobar/www/helloworld.cgi

So, I change the above Directory config to: (/users/*/*/www would be the
path to the real home directory)

<Directory /users/*/*/www>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnersMatch IncludesNoExec ExecCGI
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

No dice here either... the error is:

[Tue Jul 17 14:03:10 2001] [error] [client 128.206.94.220] Options ExecCGI
is off in this directory: /home/foobar/www/helloworld.cgi

I've also tried changing SymlinksIfOwnersMatch to FollowSymlinks under the
idea that apache saw that the owner of the symlink /home/foobar is root.root

Any pointers would be great (or a thwack from the Clue x4 :-)

Cheers and Thanks in Advance,
	Ryan