Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sharon Lourduraj <sh...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/11 03:09:39 UTC

[math] Prime Numbers Library.

Hello,

As you know every math library needs to have a relation to prime number
algorithms, so just wondering if drafting something for prime number
library would be a good idea. I am thinking of providing a patch with
very (very) basic prime number functions. What do you think?

Let me know :-)
-Sharon

Re: [math] Prime Numbers Library.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 3/11/06, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
>
>> I would fear of a library providing such functionality be enormous...
>> any modularity in commons-math planned ?
> Good question, which comes up over and over again in [math].  That's
> why I suggested that we focus on primality testing, which is something
> with practical applications and that could define a more narrow scope.
> I don't see any harm in experimenting a little in this area.
I think indeed this would be good as first stab.
> [...] When you say "modularity" do you mean splitting up the jar artifacts produced?  I thnk we have talked about that before and could be it will make sense eventually to do this.  Do you think the 1.1 jar is too big?

Right, it was about it...
It could also be about dependencies and/or scopes of each projects.
For example for Jelly it was *needed* because, for example, some taglibs
have picky dependencies. I don't think it's the case here.

The current commons-math is quite small thus far... indeed... So it'd be
just a long term  suggestion.

paul

Re: [math] Prime Numbers Library.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/06, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> "Sharon Lourduraj" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you for the positive input on implementing Prime Number functions. I
> > have created a 'wish' on the Math Wish List page. I would like to lay out
> > an initial plan before everyone starts to jump into coding the algorithms.
> >
> > Here is the base "off-my-head" plan, in the order that might prove the
> > implementation to be of positive value, also the order of difficulty:
> >
> > 1. Implement naive primality (quick tests, but are slow for large numbers)
> > testing algorithms. These algorithms are not very fast and are mainly
> > intended for small numbers. Some involve trial and error methods. Some
> > involve generating a sieve, as aligned, to test the given number and
> > derive result from the contents of the sieve.
> >

> +1 IMHO, this really should be a part of [math].

+1 for API,  +0 for naive implementation.  I am OK with starting with
naive implementations to get the API right, which is a strategy that
we have used before, but need to make sure the design will support
robust impls.

> > 2. Implement probabilistic testing (classical tests) algorithms. These
> > algorithms include tests that identify a number as a probable-prime, of
> > course using logical deduction (Fermat, Miller-Rabin, etc.) theorized by
> > mathematicians. These algorithms are relatively fast for large numbers,
> > but are sophisticated. They do contain a calculated error margin.
> >

> Currently, [math] doesn't support integer calculations bigger than 'int'.
> It could do 'long', but it's really not much of an improvement in this area.
> It's really is going to need a BigInteger class simply to handle the 2048+
> bit integers that are of interest to crypto providers.  Of course, the
> number theorests will want much larger :).
>
> And, yes, I'm volunteering.

What about the jdk-supplied class?  I don't know anything about the
implementation, but this class also supports a probablePrime method
that takes a Random and bit length as arguments.  We could provide one
of our own (Random's) there and leverage the primitives in this class.
 Assm you mean using or extending this, or accomodating BigIntegers in
the API.  Or is the jdk impl not usable?

> > 3. Implement General purpose testing algorithms. These algorithms are
> > extremely advanced. They are significantly faster than any other
> > algorithms. Some of these algorithms have been widely accepted to work,
> > but are based  on conjectures that have still not been proved true (but
> > are widely assumed to be). These algorithms will significantly test our
> > brains and the scope of [math].
> >

> Bring it on ;-).

+1 and of course the Riemann hypothesis is true ;-P

> > Alright, all that thoughts are off my head now. Feel free to make any
> > corrections, I do not have much knowledge of advanced algorithms just a
> > keen interest. Also, feel free to make suggestions.
> >
> > I have created a wiki entry :-)
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/PrimeNumbers

Thanks!!

Phil

Re: [math] Prime Numbers Library.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Sharon Lourduraj" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the positive input on implementing Prime Number functions. I
> have created a 'wish' on the Math Wish List page. I would like to lay out
> an initial plan before everyone starts to jump into coding the algorithms.
>
> Here is the base "off-my-head" plan, in the order that might prove the
> implementation to be of positive value, also the order of difficulty:
>
> 1. Implement naive primality (quick tests, but are slow for large numbers)
> testing algorithms. These algorithms are not very fast and are mainly
> intended for small numbers. Some involve trial and error methods. Some
> involve generating a sieve, as aligned, to test the given number and
> derive result from the contents of the sieve.

+1 IMHO, this really should be a part of [math].

> 2. Implement probabilistic testing (classical tests) algorithms. These
> algorithms include tests that identify a number as a probable-prime, of
> course using logical deduction (Fermat, Miller-Rabin, etc.) theorized by
> mathematicians. These algorithms are relatively fast for large numbers,
> but are sophisticated. They do contain a calculated error margin.

Currently, [math] doesn't support integer calculations bigger than 'int'.
It could do 'long', but it's really not much of an improvement in this area.
It's really is going to need a BigInteger class simply to handle the 2048+
bit integers that are of interest to crypto providers.  Of course, the
number theorests will want much larger :).

And, yes, I'm volunteering.

> 3. Implement General purpose testing algorithms. These algorithms are
> extremely advanced. They are significantly faster than any other
> algorithms. Some of these algorithms have been widely accepted to work,
> but are based  on conjectures that have still not been proved true (but
> are widely assumed to be). These algorithms will significantly test our
> brains and the scope of [math].

Bring it on ;-).

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/06, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> "Phil Steitz" <ph...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 3/11/06, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
> >> I would fear of a library providing such functionality be enormous...
> >> any modularity in commons-math planned ?
> >>

> >Good question, which comes up over and over again in [math].  That's
> >why I suggested that we focus on primality testing, which is something
> >with practical applications and that could define a more narrow scope.
> > I don't see any harm in experimenting a little in this area.  Could
> >be I am wrong though and this will lead us off into a large amount of
> >code.  I am not a number theorist and have only passing familiarity
> >with the algorithms for primality testing.  WDYT?
> >

> Actually, I am a number theorist (by training, not my day-job :).  I'm
> interested enough that I could review submissions in this area.  Of course,
> I have karma to commit them as well, but I don't like to step on toes for
> projects that I haven't really been active in ;-).

+1 - consider youself drafted ;-) Please feel free to jump in any
time.  I am sure the all of the eccentricly orbiting [math] ppl will
be happy to have a number theorist in our midst.

Thanks!

Phil

Re: [math] Prime Numbers Library.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Sharon Lourduraj <sh...@gmail.com>.
All right then, I will start by creating a Wiki entry in the Math Wish
list. And proceed form there on.

Thanks,
Sharon

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.