Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/30 19:46:13 UTC

bigtop deployment with Ambari

Has anyone installed bigtop stack using Ambari?

Re: bigtop deployment with Ambari

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
My knowledge is a bit outdated, so CMIIW.

Ambari works with hortonworks packages. For rolling upgrade to work, the
installation has HDP version number included in in the path. The dirctory
layout seems quite different compared to bigtop as well.

MrAsanjar . <af...@gmail.com>於 2016年12月31日 週六,上午3:46寫道:

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM, MrAsanjar . <af...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone installed bigtop stack using Ambari?

Funny you should ask ;-) I've worked on creating an ODPi stack for Ambari
based on the Bigtop bits:
     https://github.com/odpi/bigtop/tree/v2.0.1/bigtop-packages/src/common/ambari/ODPi/2.0

Even though it is a minimalistic stack (Hadoop, Zookeeper and Hive) it
is currently
the only way to install Bigtop'ish things via Ambari. The Bigtop stack in Ambari
itself has bitrotted to a point where it is useless.

Now, the above is what I'd describe as "native Ambari" way to manage
Bigtop bits.
I'm actually supposed to push that stack definition back into Apache
Ambari itself
and it'll probably live there. So that's that.

However... there's yer another intriguing possibility. Instead of
trying to re-implement
everything in Ambari Python code, perhaps what we should do in Bigtop is to have
a Puppet-based Ambari stack definition. IOW, just like what Cos did with Juju we
can actually do with Ambari -- reduce the size of Amari puppet code responsible
for install, etc. to be a simple puppet apply.

Thanks,
Roman.