Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Weber <mw...@alliednational.com> on 2002/12/12 19:41:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Multiple publishers, security question

I am putting an intranet together where each department will maintain
their own web pages under the main intranet page.  My question is, what

is the right way to have hr publish to intranet/hr, is publish to
intranet/is, etc.

What I have tried without success is to create a /home/hr/www directory

and symlink that to /var/intranet/html/hr.  Doing this allows hr to
publish, but apache gives 403's.  (I checked for read access, .htaccess
files,
etc.)

So, I turned it around.  I created a /var/intranet/html/is directory,
changed the owner to is:is, and linked that to /home/is/www.  Now
apache
can see the files, but the users can't publish files.  M$ Explorer
see's
the symlink as a file rather than a folder.  (No flames, please.  We
have users maintaining web pages who still look for the "any" key!)

What I did as an interim measure is to create the
/var/intranet/html/<department-code> directories, change ownership, and

insert that directory into /etc/passwd as the home directory.  Everyone

is happy, except me.  I'm fairly certain there is a better, more
secure,
more standard way to do this.

I've looked in the archives but I can't come up with a search string
that gives me anything close.

What's the best practice here?

Thanx!

Michael