Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sa-list <sa...@scopeministries.org> on 2005/03/23 03:58:36 UTC

Logging not working with SA 3.0.2

I am having problems getting logging to work.

I am using SA 3.02 on RHEL3. SA is working. Mail headers show the headers
such as:

SGID_FROM_MTA_HEADER,NO_REAL_NAME autolearn=ham version=3.0.2

Bayesian learning appears to be working since the command sa-learn --dump
magic shows the numbers for ham and spam incrementing.

I am using spamd with the following parameters:
spamd -d -c -m5 -H -s local5

In syslog.conf I have the following:

local5.*                /var/log/spamd.log

I changed the configuration to use syslog hoping it would start logging the
spamd messages. Before setting up syslog for this, I did not get any of the
messages in maillog either.

The syslog settings seem to be working since I see messages such as these if
I issue the command spamassassin restart:

Mar 22 11:02:43 server spamd[28444]: spamd starting
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server started on port 783/tcp (running
version 3.0.2)
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server successfully spawned child
process, pid 28449
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server successfully spawned child
process, pid 28450
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server successfully spawned child
process, pid 28451
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server successfully spawned child
process, pid 28452
Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server successfully spawned child
process, pid 28453

What am I missing?

Re: Logging not working with SA 3.0.2

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
sa-list wrote:

> I am using Courier and Maildrop. The scanning seems to be working
> since I can see the header information and I have SA configured to
> "rewrite_header" and this is happening correctly for spam with scores
> higher than 5.0.
> Does this answer your question? What else would you need to see to
> have a better answer?

Let me clarify something, since you seem to be missing a basic concept.

It is possible to scan mail using spamassassin without using spamd.

The fact that mail is being scanned does not mean that mail is being
scanned by spamd.

So, I ask, how are you calling spamassassin. Be specific. What exact
call do you use in your mail scripts.

Re: Logging not working with SA 3.0.2

Posted by sa-list <sa...@scopeministries.org>.

Posted by sa-list <sa...@scopeministries.org>.
I think you have something here. Checking the maildroprc script shows it
calling spamassassin instead of spamc. Changing this and restarting Courier
now gives me log messages in the new log file defined by syslog.conf.

Thanks for the insight!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 09:58 PM 3/22/2005, you wrote:
>I am having problems getting logging to work.

<snip>

>I changed the configuration to use syslog hoping it would start logging
>the spamd messages. Before setting up syslog for this, I did not get any
>of the messages in maillog either.
>The syslog settings seem to be working since I see messages such as these
>if I issue the command spamassassin restart:
>Mar 22 11:02:43 server spamd[28444]: spamd starting
>Mar 22 11:02:44 server spamd[28446]: server started on port 783/tcp
>(running version 3.0.2)
<snip>