Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Manuel Corini <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/16 08:53:05 UTC

Problem to split PDF files

Hello PDFbox,

I'm Manuel, nice to meet you.
I'm using pdfbox-app-2.0.2.jar api; I would like to slpit a Pdf document, I
have some problems: How  I can to set the path file, for to load the file
Pdf for split  ?

I think that the problemis here:
document = PDDocument.load(new File("C:\\Users\\Desktop\\EmailTest.pdf"));
because the standard use is:
document = PDDocument.load(new File(filename));
How I can change filename for to set the file path ?

This is my code:

        PDDocument document;
        document = PDDocument.load(new
File("C:\\Users\\Desktop\\EmailTest.pdf"));
        Splitter splitter = new Splitter();
        List<PDDocument> listOfSplitPages;
        listOfSplitPages = splitter.split(document);
        Iterator<PDDocument> iterator = listOfSplitPages.listIterator();

        // I am using variable i to denote page numbers.
        int i = 1;
        while(iterator.hasNext()){
            PDDocument pd = iterator.next();
                // Saving each page with its assumed page no.
                pd.save("C:\\Users\\Desktop " + i++ + ".pdf");
        }
    }
}

Re: Problem to split PDF files

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 16.07.2016 um 10:53 schrieb Manuel Corini:
> Hello PDFbox,
>
> I'm Manuel, nice to meet you.
> I'm using pdfbox-app-2.0.2.jar api; I would like to slpit a Pdf document, I
> have some problems: How  I can to set the path file, for to load the file
> Pdf for split  ?
>
> I think that the problemis here:
> document = PDDocument.load(new File("C:\\Users\\Desktop\\EmailTest.pdf"));
> because the standard use is:
> document = PDDocument.load(new File(filename));
> How I can change filename for to set the file path ?

You assign the path to the variable "filename".

> This is my code:
>
> public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {
>
>          PDDocument document;
>          document = PDDocument.load(new
> File("C:\\Users\\Desktop\\EmailTest.pdf"));
>          Splitter splitter = new Splitter();
>          List<PDDocument> listOfSplitPages;
>          listOfSplitPages = splitter.split(document);
>          Iterator<PDDocument> iterator = listOfSplitPages.listIterator();
>
>          // I am using variable i to denote page numbers.
>          int i = 1;
>          while(iterator.hasNext()){
>              PDDocument pd = iterator.next();
>                  // Saving each page with its assumed page no.
>                  pd.save("C:\\Users\\Desktop " + i++ + ".pdf");
>          }

That one will create files that are named
c:\users\desktop 1.pdf
c:\users\desktop 2.pdf
c:\users\desktop 3.pdf

i.e. the "\\" is missing after the p.

Note that 2.0.2 has a problem with splitting, the files will be too big.
If you're splitting more than one page, use 2.0.1 or 2.0.3 (when it
comes out, i.e. in a few months / weeks)

Tilman

PS "dev" is for developers of PDFBox. You want to post to "users". What
made you think that "dev" is the correct list? I'm asking because I
wonder whether this is a documentation problem that we don't know about yet.