Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2004/12/30 09:43:13 UTC

[Bug] Wrong version number if forrest is available

With the latest changes to the build system in trunk regarding forrest,
the version number of Cocoon is overwritten by a forrest installation.

In my build environment I have set FORREST_HOME to a 0.5 forrest
installation and when building Cocoon, Cocoon uses this 0.5 as it's
own version number :(

Can we fix this please? (A workaround is to set FORREST_HOME to a
non existing path)

Carsten

Re: [Bug] Wrong version number if forrest is available

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >>
> >>If this is the only property that gets overwritten by forrest, then I'm
> >>fine with this.
> >
> >That would be a good workaround to give us room to breathe. I will not
> >be able to do it until tomorrow our time.
> >
> I think we don't need to fix it right now, I can change my env for some
> days - but not forever :)

Yes, but we don't want to field questions from users about
cocoon version number gone AWOL.

> >>Perhaps the better way would be to remove forrest from
> >>our build. It looks much safer for me.
> >
> >Open to suggestions of how that could operate. Do you mean not
> >have forrest be called at the end of 'build docs' at all?
> >So remind people to run 'build docs' to generate the sitemap
> >component docs and the jars.xml file, then just manually
> >follow up with 'forrest' externally. That could work.
>
> Yepp - I think it did work before we started generating the
> sitemap components docs.

I am going to the bush for a few days holiday, so i just
disabled forrest from the 'build docs' target. There is more
work to do to disconnect it. That target also does some
copying work after forrest finished.

Anyway, for those keen to work on building Cocoon's 2.2 docs ...

Use forrest_06_branch SVN
./build.sh docs
forrest

See the 'forrest run' notes in thread:
Re: trunk build docs using forrest_06_branch

--David

Re: [Bug] Wrong version number if forrest is available

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

> So i have just had a sudden revelation that practically nobody
> bothers with doing 'build docs' for Cocoon.

:(

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>>With the latest changes to the build system in trunk regarding forrest,
>>>the version number of Cocoon is overwritten by a forrest installation.
>>>
>>>In my build environment I have set FORREST_HOME to a 0.5 forrest
>>>installation and when building Cocoon, Cocoon uses this 0.5 as it's
>>>own version number :(
>>>
>>>Can we fix this please? (A workaround is to set FORREST_HOME to a
>>>non existing path)
>>
>>Drat, there is no way around that, other than for you to install
>>forrest_06_branch for use with Cocoon trunk, or we remove forrest
>>completely from the build.
>>
>>I did do testing and fixed that issue, but forgot that people
>>might still try to use the old forrest-0.5.1 against cocoon trunk.

I'm not using forrest with cocoon, I just have a development environment
that sets FORREST_HOME to make it work with other projects.

> Or we could tweak the cocoon build system to change
> ${version} to ${cocoon.version}

If this is the only property that gets overwritten by forrest, then I'm
fine with this. Perhaps the better way would be to remove forrest from

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >With the latest changes to the build system in trunk regarding forrest,
> >the version number of Cocoon is overwritten by a forrest installation.
> >
> >In my build environment I have set FORREST_HOME to a 0.5 forrest
> >installation and when building Cocoon, Cocoon uses this 0.5 as it's
> >own version number :(
> >
> >Can we fix this please? (A workaround is to set FORREST_HOME to a
> >non existing path)
> >
> >Carsten
> >

> Don't know if it helps but Forrest doesn't neeed FORREST_HOME. Simply call
> forrest.bat|sh where you are. So you can run several Forrest parallely.
>
> To make thinks easier, create some links (forrest06, forrest05,
> forrest-svn, ...) that are reachable from within your PATH.

At the moment, the FORREST_HOME is required with the cocoon build system.
The proper way to build the cocoon docs is with 'build docs' and that
depends on FORREST_HOME being set.

--David

Re: [Bug] Wrong version number if forrest is available

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@yahoo.de>.

--
Reinhard