Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> on 2016/07/22 09:16:12 UTC

changed various Jira issues to be releasing for 2.12.0 release

Hello list,
   I've just now mentioned within various Xerces Jira issues that I had
earlier fixed raised against 2.11.0 release, that the fixes for them will
be available in the 2.12.0 release.

My these steps are in relation to a mail occurring on our forums initiated
by David Costanzo titled, "Next Steps for 2.12.0 release" where he's worked
on the release notes for 2.12.0 release and other things. I felt that, the
various fixes that I've now marked as releasing for 2.12.0, that were fixed
by me must also go into the 2.12.0 release.

If there are any difference of opinion with respect to this, please write
on the list and I can modify my actions as discussed.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: changed various Jira issues to be releasing for 2.12.0 release

Posted by David Costanzo <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Mukul Gandhi wrote:
> (I guess, there's some problem with your mailer. It seems to receive Muluk
> instead of my name Mukul. But its ok.)
Thank you for pointing this out.  This was a human error and I am very sorry for it.  I am dyslexic and should have been more careful when transcribing your name.  I can understand if you were offended, as it's a basic element of human respect to properly address someone by their name.  Please accept my apology and know that I do respect you and appreciate the time you took to respond to my questions, as well as all of your past and future effort to keep Java up-to-date on XML standards.  I will be more careful in the future.

Re: changed various Jira issues to be releasing for 2.12.0 release

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Most of the folks got committer status through multiple contributions to
the project. Given where Xerces is at I'd be supportive of a lower bar but
would generally hope that potential new committers have an interest beyond
one release or just a specific bug fix. It hasn't really improved the
overall health of the project if those people immediately disappear.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Posted by David Costanzo <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Mukul / David,

Just want to clarify a few things...

<david_costanzo@yahoo.com.invalid
> > wrote:
> I find the Xerces release process to be confusing, but I think I've
> pieced together some things.  Please let me know where I'm incorrect:
>
> 1) Michael Glavassevich is the project lead and dictates how and
> when Xerces is released.
>
> I agree. Michael as a Xerces PMC chair and as one of the primary
> contributors of XercesJ2, has taken this responsibility always. I
> believe, he should take this responsibility in future as well.

As the PMC chair it's my responsibility to ensure that we're reporting
project status to the board and to pass relevant information back to the
rest of the PMC. I'm just a facilitator. There is no project "leader".
That's not the Apache way.

It's true that for years I've been the primary person driving out Xerces-J
releases. I just happen to be the one who was volunteering to do it. It
could have been anyone. As I'm sure is evident to folks who have been
watching the project, my contributions have been getting smaller. I still
care about Xerces, but don't have much time anymore to contribute to
development.

I would be very happy to see new committers who would take a more active
role. That's a call to action for anyone out there. If you're interested,
we're interested in hearing from you. And don't be overly concerned about
not having deep technical knowledge of XML or the Xerces codebase. Many of
us didn't have that when we first started. I certainly didn't.

Any contribution you could make is welcome.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
On 26 July 2016 at 20:15, David Costanzo <da...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> I find the Xerces release process to be confusing, but I think I've pieced
> together some things.  Please let me know where I'm incorrect:
>
> 1) Michael Glavassevich is the project lead and dictates how and when
> Xerces is released.

I agree. Michael as a Xerces PMC chair and as one of the primary
contributors of XercesJ2, has taken this responsibility always. I believe,
he should take this responsibility in future as well.

> 2) Xerces has two separate code bases, "trunk" and "xml-schema-1.1-beta".
> These are released as separate JARs and have a different set of bugs,
> features, and fixes.

Yes this is correct. As far as I know, the codebase on "trunk" only has the
code for XercesJ's XML Schema 1.0 processor, and is required to be
compatible with JDK 1.3. The codebase on the branch "xml-schema-1.1-beta"
which the latest version on the site, is very current to the XML Schema 1.1
processor. It is fully compliant to the XML Schema 1.1 spec I think.

> 3) Whenever Xerces is released, both the "trunk" and "xml-schema-1.1-beta"
> are released with the same version number.

Yes, this is correct. This has been true upto the 2.11.0 release.

> 4) All of your (Muluk's) fixes were made in "xml-schema-1.1-beta" and so
> would be included in any Xerces release, but would go into the
> "xml-schema-1.1-beta" JAR, not the mainline Xerces JAR.

This is correct, to an extent to the ways in which Xerces releases have
been occurring till now.

> To get your fixes into the mainline release, the xml-schema-1.1-beta
> branch would need to be merged into trunk, but there are no near-term plans
> to do this.

I'm not sure, whether there aren't any near term plans to do such a thing.
Just to answer your question...

> Is this correct?

Yes that's correct, as I've answered your question.

> Muluk Gandhi wrote:

(I guess, there's some problem with your mailer. It seems to receive Muluk
instead of my name Mukul. But its ok.)

> When I tagged the issues in JIRA, I had carefully checked where each fix
> was committed so that the auto-generated release notes[1] wouldn't include
> fixes that aren't in the mainline version, which is what people will
> download when they download 2.12.0.

I think, I should apologize of my 2.12.0 tagging actions to my fixes, which
seem to have disturbed your view of the auto-generated release notes[1]
(I've also seen the details on this link while writing this mail, and can
understand how it appears and what are its contents). I did it out of my
understanding. I can revert that action (or you may also do that). But
doing that, would send so many mails to this list members. Please advise.

> That said, since I'm not a Xerces developer and I have no problem with you
> following whatever process you like.

I'm sorry, I'm not the only stakeholder in this work. Other Xerces
committers and PMC members might have to intervene in this. At this point,
I wish not to take any decision on this and I think I must not.

> Are you suggesting that the schema 1.1 branch gets merged back into the
> mainline code?

I'm not suggesting that. I would like to support and adhere to the process
as already mentioned on this list about this many times before. I think,
someone else might also be able to say something on this.

<j-...@xerces.apache.org>

Re: changed various Jira issues to be releasing for 2.12.0 release

Posted by David Costanzo <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I find the Xerces release process to be confusing, but I think I've pieced together some things.  Please let me know where I'm incorrect:

1) Michael Glavassevich is the project lead and dictates how and when Xerces is released.

2) Xerces has two separate code bases, "trunk" and "xml-schema-1.1-beta".  These are released as separate JARs and have a different set of bugs, features, and fixes.

3) Whenever Xerces is released, both the "trunk" and "xml-schema-1.1-beta" are released with the same version number.

4) All of your (Muluk's) fixes were made in "xml-schema-1.1-beta" and so would be included in any Xerces release, but would go into the "xml-schema-1.1-beta" JAR, not the mainline Xerces JAR.  To get your fixes into the mainline release, the xml-schema-1.1-beta branch would need to be merged into trunk, but there are no near-term plans to do this.

Is this correct?

Muluk Gandhi wrote:
> I've just now mentioned within various Xerces Jira issues that I had earlier fixed raised against 2.11.0 release, that the fixes for them will be available in the 2.12.0 release.

When I tagged the issues in JIRA, I had carefully checked where each fix was committed so that the auto-generated release notes[1] wouldn't include fixes that aren't in the mainline version, which is what people will download when they download 2.12.0.  As a Xerces user, I find it confusing to see release notes that say something is "fixed" in version 2.12.0 when it's not fixed in the version that I download, but in a completely different JAR called "xml-schema-1.1-beta" that's built from a different code base.  Since there are really two different libraries released, I think it'd be clearer to have two version labels in JIRA, something like "2.12.0" and "2.12.0 Schema 1.1 beta".  I'm willing to retag the JIRA tickets if you approve of this suggestion, but I think I'd need Michael's approval, too.

Muluk Gandhi wrote:
> I felt that, the various fixes that I've now marked as releasing for 2.12.0, that were fixed by me must also go into the 2.12.0 release.

Are you suggesting that the schema 1.1 branch gets merged back into the mainline code?  I think that would be great.  Not only would get important fixes into the mainline release, but it would clear up a lot of confusion that I've seen on the mailing lists, including the recent confusion where someone claims that Xerces doesn't pass schema 1.1 W3C unit tests and you claim it does (I assume that he was looking at trunk and you were looking at the xml-schema-1.1-dev branch).

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10520&version=12336542