Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org> on 2018/02/02 00:20:31 UTC

[VOTE] When in Doubt, Wait 24 Hours Before Merging

Hi,

In order to avoid having miscommunication and unaligned expectation, I'd
like to propose a lazy vote on a new rule for merging pull requests.
Specifically, for merging PRs, if there are open review comments and
changes afterwards didn’t address the comments, we should have a
grace-period of 24 hours for commenters to respond to the changes.

This rule should take effect on Feb. 6th if there's no objection. Thanks.

Bests,
Sheng

Re: [VOTE] When in Doubt, Wait 24 Hours Before Merging

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@apache.org>.
I assume you mean after a call of "Is everything ok to merge?"

There'd have to be some sort of trigger for ppl to know someone has started
the 24-hour timer, right?

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I'm afraid that the approach starting the "timer" (I know, that's a bad
term) with the last commit does not really work out. There have been cases
in the past where a reviewer criticized something, but it was never
followed up by the contributor. As far as I understand your second
proposal, you would request the reviewer to check the pr every few days and
keep repeating themselves in order to remind the contributor until the
comment has been addressed?

I'd rather agree with Chris and his view that all comments have to be
addressed or (in case of no response from the reviewer after being
explicitly asked) a specific time has to pass in order to render a veto
invalid. With your proposal I'm afraid that, especially in big PRs, a veto
might get discarded without the reviewer actually being aware of it.

-Marco

Posted by Sheng Zha <sz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.
Also, if a committer clicked "request changes" as their review (which shows
near the CI build info), then they need to release that -- it can't be
merged -- a "request changes" to me means "-1".

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Marco de Abreu <marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.