Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by JJ Braz <fu...@yahoo.com> on 2006/01/06 18:30:26 UTC

Directory Permissions from Tomcat

After succesfully running the Lucene Demo I'm now trying to customize
it on a Win XP machine. Using the IndexHTML file I want to create my
own index, but I'm getting an "Access Denied" error. The files which I
want to include in the index are in c:\sourcedir and I want the index to
be created in c:\tomcat\webapps\myidx. I'm using the following
command.:

  C:\tomcat\webapps>java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -
index myidx <c:\sourcedir> ..

  I'm getting the following error:
  Access is denied.

  I tried to modify the catalina.policy file by adding the following:

  grant {
permission java.io.FilePermission "/","read";
};

  This didn't solve my problem. Any idea on how I can set the
permissions so that the index files can be sourced from and created to the
directories of my choice? Many thanks

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

Re: Directory Permissions from Tomcat

Posted by JJ Braz <fu...@yahoo.com>.
Follow up: One thing I though I could is to modify the "String usage" line on the IndexHTML file:

    Currently the line reads:

  String usage = "IndexHTML [-create] [-index <index>] <root_directory>";

  I want to modify it to:

  String usage = "IndexHTML [-create] [-index <index>] c:\sourcedir";

  will this allow Tomcat to read that directory and index the documents in that directory? Will I need to Ant rebuild the IndexHTML and associated classes?
  Are my questions relevant to the user mailing list or should I post these on the developer list? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J