Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu> on 2011/08/08 17:37:31 UTC

Re: Reserve a cluster in VCL

Since this thread is moved from a "how to" to a design I'm changing it
to the vcl-dev list.

These are some of the initial key questions which would need to be
discovered/answered.

My first pass would be to break this down into two problems to solve.

1) better handling of multiple networks already trunked to the vcl
infrastructure either through the hyerpvisor or a locally managed
switch.

2) dynamically creating/destroying vlans at provisioning time.

----
1 - is there, but is within the provisioning modules. Should it stay
in the prov modules or be generalized and called as a lower-level
function which can be accessed by all the prov. modules.? Here we
should define a direction we want to go in.

2- The harder one. Maybe not with a single hypervisor. But in the data
center and even across the public internet. Are there any projects out
there which are working on this? The issue comes down to how much
access would be granted to the upstream switches to create a vlan.
Some scope needs to be defined for this problem.

Those are just a couple of my thoughts. But I'm definitely not a networking guy.

Thoughts from others who might have strong network background?

Aaron

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: Reserve a cluster in VCL

Posted by Xianqing Yu <yu...@hotmail.com>.
Does VCL have any cluster image I can reserve (which has separate vlans)? I
would like to get some first-hand experience. I heard from Dr. Ning that you
guys has some HPC relative images has this function.

Thanks,

Xianqing Yu

------

wrote:
> I think it can be an interesting project. I start to think that I probably
> can add the vlan support to my kvm provisioning module (which we discussed
> in other emails in vcl-dev mail list.) From the designer prospective,
> could
> you talk about how this dynamical vlan should work? For example, what
> kinds
> of machines should be under the same vlan or different vlans? The machines
> under different vlans, should they still be able to connect to each other
> through public network? Should we create different vlans for both public
> network and private network? Where we should put the "create vlan
> function"?
> In provisioning module, or in higher level of VCL code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xianqing Yu
>
> ------
> Graduate Research Assistant, Cyber Defense Lab
> Department of Computer Science
> North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: Reserve a cluster in VCL

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Currently it's a manual addition through mysql command line or
phpmyadmin. Eventually we plan to be able to add and assign it through
the vcl interface.

Aaron

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Xianqing Yu <yu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to use $project to assign VM to separate vlan. Do you know how I
> can add new project into the image table in VCL database?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xianqing Yu
>
> ------
> Graduate Research Assistant, Cyber Defense Lab
> Department of Computer Science
> North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: Reserve a cluster in VCL

wrote:
> I think it can be an interesting project. I start to think that I probably
> can add the vlan support to my kvm provisioning module (which we discussed
> in other emails in vcl-dev mail list.) From the designer prospective,
> could
> you talk about how this dynamical vlan should work? For example, what
> kinds
> of machines should be under the same vlan or different vlans? The machines
> under different vlans, should they still be able to connect to each other
> through public network? Should we create different vlans for both public
> network and private network? Where we should put the "create vlan
> function"?
> In provisioning module, or in higher level of VCL code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xianqing Yu
>
> ------
> Graduate Research Assistant, Cyber Defense Lab
> Department of Computer Science
> North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University