Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dorchain Marc <m....@syborg.de> on 2000/09/15 09:10:06 UTC

relative links in pdf not working

I have a problem not direct with xsl:fo, but with the result, pdf.

It seems that the Acrobat Reader is not able to understand relative links
like ../otherdirectory/myyfile.html correct.
Is there a way how you can link to an ancestor directory in pdf?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: relative links in pdf not working

Posted by Jordan Naftolin <jo...@jtcsv.com>.
Marc,
External links are loaded in your default web browser using the exact URL
you have specified in your external-destination.  Similar to the fact that
you can't open a new web browser and just type
"..\otherdirectory\myfile.html", you can't rely on Acrobat Reader to be able
to open a new web browser with a relative link, because there is nothing
relative for the web browser to open it from.
However, if you open the PDF file containing the link from within a web
browser (using the Acrobat Reader plugin), then relative links will work
because the web browser now has a file from which another file can be
relatively loaded.
Therefore, if you can ensure that the PDF will be viewed from a web browser,
then you can rely on relative links.  Otherwise, I can't think of any way to
ensure that relative links will work (and this is not a limitation of FOP).
Hope this helps.
Jordan