Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2016/03/29 00:07:20 UTC

Re: lucene-solr:master: disable query cache when this test uses threads, so seeds reliably reproduce

Mike, can you clarify why the query cache is problemtic here ... it's not
really clear from the comment you added...

: +    if (useThreads) {
: +      // We must disable query cache otherwise test seed may not reproduce since different
: +      // threads may or may not get a cache hit or miss depending on order the JVM
: +      // schedules the threads:
: +      s.setQueryCache(null);
: +    }
: +

...regardless of wether any thread gets a cache hit or a cache miss,
shouldn't the *results* of any arbitrary query as seen by the test
thread always be the same?

I realize rob already removed all the threading code from this test in
LUCENE-7136, i'm just trying to understand the general problem you were
trying to fix here: how/why a cache hit/mass would have caused
non-reproducible behavior in a threaded test.

(unless something in that test was expecting/asserting a cache hit/miss,
but i could find any evidence of that)

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/