Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Damien Dye <da...@madwire.co.uk> on 2002/01/10 01:29:01 UTC

Apache auth

How do I get apache to check the usernames and password against the unix
password database? As I would like users to access certain areas e.g. file
in a set folder.
how do I go about it.
--
"According to Jesus, respect for others is demonstrated by doing to
others as you wish others would do to you" (Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31).

Damien J Dye
damien@madwire.co.uk
IPv4 http://www.madwire.co.uk

RE: Apache auth

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Damien Dye [mailto:damien@madwire.co.uk]

> How do I get apache to check the usernames and password against the unix
> password database? As I would like users to access certain areas e.g. file
> in a set folder.
> how do I go about it.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#passwdauth

If you want to void your warranty, there are some modules like mod_auth_sys
at http://modules.apache.org/ that say they can do this.

If you would like to be more sane and use a separate password database for
the web, the technique is described here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html

Joshua.