Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Clemens Schwaighofer <cs...@tequila.co.jp> on 2004/12/14 14:46:39 UTC

move data around in the repository

Hi,

As I am quite new to subversion and versioning tools, I tend to make
errors, mostly in the layout.

So today I imported a new project into
svn://server/clients/customer/project/, then later I, after I checked
out and did some work on it, that I totaly forgot to create my dev and
stable subfolders, so I am missing a level here.

I played here at home on my win xp box around with moving data around on
the server, read through the docu for branching, but I don't know what
the best way is to solve this:
move all files and directories from
svn://server/clients/customer/project/ to the subfolder
svn://server/clients/customer/project/stable/.

What is the most smartest way? try to move files directly on the server
or checkout a working copy, create there the "stable" subfolder and move
everything (via svn mv) into this subfolder and commit that update and
later re-checkout only the stable subfolder?

is there another "easier" way?

lg, clemens

Re: move data around in the repository

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.

On 14/12/2004 09:46, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I am quite new to subversion and versioning tools, I tend to make
> errors, mostly in the layout.
>
> So today I imported a new project into
> svn://server/clients/customer/project/, then later I, after I checked
> out and did some work on it, that I totaly forgot to create my dev and
> stable subfolders, so I am missing a level here.
>
> I played here at home on my win xp box around with moving data around on
> the server, read through the docu for branching, but I don't know what
> the best way is to solve this:
> move all files and directories from
> svn://server/clients/customer/project/ to the subfolder
> svn://server/clients/customer/project/stable/.
>
> What is the most smartest way? try to move files directly on the server
> or checkout a working copy, create there the "stable" subfolder and move
> everything (via svn mv) into this subfolder and commit that update and
> later re-checkout only the stable subfolder?
>
> is there another "easier" way?

Unfortunately, no.  You'll have to move everything "by hand" to it's new
location.  You might want to take a look at RSVN[1], a Python utility
which allows multiple operations to occur on a the repository side as a
single atomic commit, instead of multiple ones, such as in this case.

Hope that helps !
François

[1] https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/rsvn/trac.cgi/wiki

Re: move data around in the repository