Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/08/06 10:41:19 UTC

New namespaces and Flash Builder issues

Hi,

As suggested in another thread I thought I'd try replacing the existing Adode namespaces with Apache namespaces to see what would happen.

It's easy enough to add them to the flex-config.xml like so, pointing to the existing manifest files:

         <namespace>
            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/mxml/2009/ns</uri>
            <manifest>mxml-2009-manifest.xml</manifest>
         </namespace>
         <namespace>
            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/spark/ns</uri>
            <manifest>spark-manifest.xml</manifest>
         </namespace>
         <namespace>
            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/mx/ns</uri>
            <manifest>mx-manifest.xml</manifest>
         </namespace>
         <namespace>
            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/mxml/ns</uri>
            <manifest>mxml-manifest.xml</manifest>
         </namespace>

And create a project like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://flex.apache.org/mxml/2009/ns"
		xmlns:s="http://flex.apache.org/spark/ns"
		xmlns:mx="http://flex.apache.org/mx/ns">
	<s:Label text="hello" />
</s:Application>

But you get this error:
"Unable to resolve MXML language version. Please specify the language namespace on the root document tag."

Adding a namespace like this removes the error:
xmlns:oldfx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

But is obviously hardly ideal.

Worse off FlashBuilder component name completion seems broken as if you type s: you get a list of components starting with "s1:" not "s:" even though there is no s1 namespace.

So it looks like the existing names spaces are hard coded into Flash Builder in some way which is unfortunate to say the least.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: New namespaces and Flash Builder issues

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> This is newly a vendor tooling issue to be worked with people at adobe. But
> again, I think that tool should be framework compliant and not the
> inverse...
In a perfect world sure I would agree. However there a lot of people still using Flash Builder 4.6 and to encourage them to move to Apache Flex SDK we need to make things easy for them. Hopefully Flash Builder 4.7 (or whatever the next version is) won't have issues like this.

> (as this was discussed in packaing sdk for flash builder...)
The packager issue was more of a licensing one, parts of Flex 4.6 were not compatible with Apache licensing the installer was created to make it a little easier for users of the SDK.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
This is newly a vendor tooling issue to be worked with people at adobe. But
again, I think that tool should be framework compliant and not the
inverse... (as this was discussed in packaing sdk for flash builder...)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

RE: New namespaces and Flash Builder issues

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
> flash builder has its own compiler implementation

Flash Builder 4.6 doesn't have a full compiler capable of producing bytecode, but it does have its own code intelligence engine ("Code Model") which supports code hinting, code refactoring, etc. Code Model was the basis for the front end of the Falcon compiler, but has undergone a lot of evolution in that process.

- Gordon

Posted by Clint Modien <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 8/6/12 4 :41AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>As suggested in another thread I thought I'd try replacing the existing
>Adode namespaces with Apache namespaces to see what would happen.
>
>It's easy enough to add them to the flex-config.xml like so, pointing to
>the existing manifest files:
>
>         <namespace>
>            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/mxml/2009/ns</uri>
>            <manifest>mxml-2009-manifest.xml</manifest>
>         </namespace>
>         <namespace>
>            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/spark/ns</uri>
>            <manifest>spark-manifest.xml</manifest>
>         </namespace>
>         <namespace>
>            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/mx/ns</uri>
>            <manifest>mx-manifest.xml</manifest>
>         </namespace>
>         <namespace>
>            <uri>http://flex.apache.org/mxml/ns</uri>
>            <manifest>mxml-manifest.xml</manifest>
>         </namespace>
>

>And create a project like so:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
><s:Application xmlns:fx="http://flex.apache.org/mxml/2009/ns"
>		xmlns:s="http://flex.apache.org/spark/ns"
>		xmlns:mx="http://flex.apache.org/mx/ns">
>	<s:Label text="hello" />
></s:Application>
>

>But you get this error:
>"Unable to resolve MXML language version. Please specify the language
>namespace on the root document tag."
>
>Adding a namespace like this removes the error:
>xmlns:oldfx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

That is baked into the compiler.  It is the constant MXML_2009_NAMESPACE
in MxmlNamespaces.java.  I also see constants for SPARK_NAMESPACE and
MX_NAMESPACE in that file but I didn't follow thru and see how they were
used.

>But is obviously hardly ideal.
>
>Worse off FlashBuilder component name completion seems broken as if you
>type s: you get a list of components starting with "s1:" not "s:" even
>though there is no s1 namespace.
>
>So it looks like the existing names spaces are hard coded into Flash
>Builder in some way which is unfortunate to say the least.

Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me.

Carol