Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2013/06/28 11:32:24 UTC

[DS] Reverting support to easily change service registration properties

Hi all

With FELIX-3377 [1] we implemented a simple way for a component to change its own service registration properties on activation and deactivation or at any time calling a new [Ext]ComponentContext method.

We also submitted this feature to the OSGi Alliance to enhance the Declarative Services specification.

In the mean time the OSGi Alliance decided to drop this feature again for the reasons explained in FELIX-4149 [2]. Unfortunately we already have a release of Apache Felix DS/SCR out implementing the feature. Thus we probably cannot just remove it again; can we ?

So I suggest we disable the feature by default and enable it through configuration. If the concensus is, though, to ditch the feature again, I am perfectly fine.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3377
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4149

Re: [DS] Reverting support to easily change service registration properties

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
While disabling is the safer way, i'm wondering if there is anyone out
there using this - and if no one speaks up, rather remove it completely.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org