Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2012/03/01 23:43:23 UTC

Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge

Thanks Roberto!

On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:44 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

> Below more details about the plan we are about to put into action.
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  below some details about how we plan to manage users' accounts.

>>> thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> I was able to take a closer look on it in the morning. I was able to login
>>> and noticed that my old @sun.com email is used.
>>>
>>> I tried to change it to my Apache email but it didn't worked. It seems that
>>> I had to use @openoffice.org email address. How can I change it? I think we
>>> will probably switch to other email addresses.
>>
>> Let me briefly recap how the Extensions website works, and how we
>> eventually plan to change it.
>>
>> 1. Users logging in at openoffice.org (the vast majority) can't change
>> emails nor their passwords.
>> 2. Users logging in at the Extensions website (i.e. users who never
>> migrated their accounts to openoffice.org, a small fraction of the
>> user base) are told to convert their accounts to an openoffice.org
>> accounts. They might change their emails, but only to a
>> *@openoffice.org.
>>
>> We have already changed the misleading message requiring to migrate to
>> openoffice.org, telling users instead that they won't have any problem
>> when the openoffice.org authentication system will shut down. We are
>> now working on:
>>
>> a) accept any email address (optionally we can avoid to accept
>> *@openoffice.org).
>
> All users - that means both the majority of them authenticating via
> OpenOffice.org and the minority logging it at the Extensions website -
> would be able to change their email addresses. We won't allow
> @openoffice.org addresses, though.
>
>> b) New users creating their accounts at the Extensions website.
>
> At http://aoo-extensions.sourceforge.net/user instead of inviting
> users to create @openoffice.org accounts will make possible to create
> accounts at the Extensions website.
>
>> c) Find a way to migrate users actually logging in at openoffice.org.
>
> The plan is to transparently migrate users authenticating at
> OpenOffice.org to the Extensions, by storing locally their
> credentials. For the time being their email addresses will stay
> @openoffice.org, but the idea is to migrate them all if we can get
> their alternative emails. In fact we assume many of them won't access
> the Extensions website before the Oracle authentication system will
> shut down.

AFAIK Oracle will not divulge alternative email. So, I think you will need to let them recreate openoffice.org accounts and immediately associate these with their issues.

> Last but not least, since the Extensions updates in OOo 3.3.0 are
> served through the updateexte.services.openoffice.org, we would ask
> you to let us manage that too, so that we can restore the Extensions
> updates service.

Non-authoritative answer:
updateexte.services.openoffice.org	canonical name = download.services.openoffice.org.
Name:	download.services.openoffice.org
Address: 192.9.173.38

Well, this leads to an issue that we may have missed - the MirrorBrain network of the legacy releases of OpenOffice.org.

I think a discussion of this is worth a brand new thread.

Regards,
Dave

Re: update service [was: Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge]

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Am 14.03.12 17:09, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> [...]
>>>
>>> *IF* the same "update protocol" is used for everything, base package and
>>> extensions, here is what I (we) know. Apparently, there was some
>>> proprietary tool in place from what I gather in which entries were
>>> (manually?) entered for "products". That tool created atom feeds at a
>>> specified URL which the "products/extensions" would then reference for
>>> updates.
>>>
>>> In building, both Regina and Ariel were able to successfully test an
>>> "update" by creating an atom feed with a single entry for their respective
>>> platforms (windows, linux-64 with debian packaging), and I think actually
>>> perform the update.
>>>
>>> There is information on the "format" of the feed on the wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**Notification_Protocol<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>
>>>
>>> but NOTHING about how the feed gets constructed.
>>>
>>> I have been wanting to experiment with adding more than one entry to the
>>> existing sample feed I ported  (usign Ariel's test) to:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>>>
>>> If someone knows enough to add more "entries" to this feed complying to
>>> "atom" rules, that would be great. I don't know anything about how
>>> "matches" occur in this context.
>>>

>> I am testing the function Menu Help - Check for Updates... regarding, if
>> it is working after we had back an HTTP/WebDAV client library.
>> It mainly works using [1]. But, I have recognized that the HTTP header
>> fields specified at [2] are not transfered - mea culpa.
>> -->  I will submit a corresponding issue for which I will request the
>> release blocker flag.
>>
>> It looks like that the former update service used the values of the HTTP
>> header fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" in order to provide a
>> proper reply.
>> I think "User-Agent" was used to determine, if for the requested installed
>> version an update exists or not. "Accept-Language" seems to be used provide
>> a corresponding localized reply.
>> These are only guesses. Feel free to correct or even support me.
>>
>> After fixing the above mentioned issue I will try to analyse the code
>> processing the response in order to continue Regina's and Ariel's work here.
>> I expect that it results in proper information which enabled us to provide
>> a 'static' reply which will signal to all OOo 3.3 versions that AOO 3.4 is
>> available.
>>
>> [1] http://www.openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> [2] http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>> Notification_Protocol<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>
>>

>> Best regards, Oliver.
>>

> Oliver--Thanks.
>
> I too am continuing my investigation, though, since I am NOT a C++ coder,

I have already started to document my findings at [2].
I will continue tomorrow morning (German time).
For short: I think I have found everything which is needed to bring a
"update service" back. We should discuss when I have provided all my
findings.

Best regards (and stay tuned),
Oliver.

Re: update service [was: Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge]

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> a corresponding localized reply.
> These are only guesses. Feel free to correct or even support me.
>
> After fixing the above mentioned issue I will try to analyse the code
> processing the response in order to continue Regina's and Ariel's work here.
> I expect that it results in proper information which enabled us to provide
> a 'static' reply which will signal to all OOo 3.3 versions that AOO 3.4 is
> available.
>
> [1] http://www.openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
> [2] http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
> Notification_Protocol<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>
>

> Best regards, Oliver.

Oliver--Thanks.

I too am continuing my investigation, though, since I am NOT a C++ coder,

MzK

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell

update service [was: Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge]

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

> [...]

--> I will submit a corresponding issue for which I will request the release
blocker flag.

It looks like that the former update service used the values of the HTTP header
fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" in order to provide a proper reply.
I think "User-Agent" was used to determine, if for the requested installed
version an update exists or not. "Accept-Language" seems to be used provide a
corresponding localized reply.
These are only guesses. Feel free to correct or even support me.

After fixing the above mentioned issue I will try to analyse the code processing
the response in order to continue Regina's and Ariel's work here.
I expect that it results in proper information which enabled us to provide a
'static' reply which will signal to all OOo 3.3 versions that AOO 3.4 is available.

[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>wrote:

>> associate

>> solution

>> > thanks fir the update Roberto, can you tell me where we are with the
>> > extension update Url and the service behind. Do you need help to
>> understand
>> > what the service has done? We have to check the code to figure out how
>> the
>> > requests look in detail ...
>>
>> We have already investigated how it works, and we do actually serve
>> updates requests answering that there are no updates. This is just as
>> it was configured before.
>>
>> Any information about how the update protocol works would be helpful
>> for the future, though.
>>
>> Roberto
>>

> OK, I have an odd question. Is this the same "update protocol" that is used
> to update the actual base package -- i.e. OOo -- the same "update"
> capability that is currently missing from, say, the existing Linux 32-bit
> build?
>
> Roberto-- where can we get more info on what is actually being "served" in
> response to update request? That is, the URL for it.

The two URLs are slightly different.

AOO Updates:
http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

Extensions Updates:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/ExtensionUpdateService/check.Update

And we do manage the second one.

> *IF* the same "update protocol" is used for everything, base package and
> extensions, here is what I (we) know. Apparently, there was some
> proprietary tool in place from what I gather in which entries were
> (manually?) entered for "products". That tool created atom feeds at a
> specified URL which the "products/extensions" would then reference for
> updates.

I expect the two protocols to be nearly the same, but I do know very
little about how do they work, and we do know only how to return the
no updates available feedback at the moment.

Roberto

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

====