Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Goutham Tholpadi <gt...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/24 17:04:26 UTC

Delete from Solr console fails

Hi,

Setup:
We have a stand-alone Solr (v7.2) with around 30 million documents and with
4 cores, 38G of RAM, and a 1TB disk. The documents were not directly
indexed but came from a restore of a back from another Solr instance.

Problem:
Search queries seem to be working fine. However, when I try to delete
documents from the Solr console, I get a "Connection to Solr lost" error. I
am trying by navigating to the "Documents" section of the chosen core,
using "Solr Command" as the "Document Type", and entering something this in
the box below:
<delete>
<query>
field:value
</query>
</delete>

I tried with the field being the unique key, and otherwise. I also tried
with values containing wild cards. I got the error in all cases.

Any pointers on this?

Thanks
Goutham

Re: Delete from Solr console fails

Posted by Goutham Tholpadi <gt...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response Rahul, and sorry for the delay. This email somehow
got missed in my inbox.

I am not able to get the thread dump now; here are the other details:

   - It is stand-alone Solr
   - I also found later that, while the UI timed out, the request was
   ultimately processed. In some cases, the request got processed hours after
   I had made it, but it did get processed.
   - When I tried via cURL, it did not time out but was stuck forever and
   never returned. I guess if I had waited for a few hours, it would have
   returned.
   - I later found out that we had allocated 4 cores for Solr, so I guess
   using 110% CPU was ok, since that is still a little over 25% of the CPU
   available to Solr.

Thanks!
Goutham

Posted by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com>.