Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net> on 2003/02/05 22:03:46 UTC

make check Error with SVN version 4755

I've just updated to svn version 4755. Make check is failing. Here is the
output from test.log. Has anyone else seen this?

SVN Version: svn, version 0.17.1 (dev build)
   compiled Feb  5 2003, 12:45:10

Copyright (C) 2000-2003 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' schema
  - handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' schema

BDB Version: 4.0.14
APR Version: CVS checkout last update:
APR-Util Version: CVS checkout last update:

-------
tests.log output (relevant)
-------
START: svnversion_tests.py
CMD: svnadmin "create" "local_tmp/repos"
CMD: svn "import" "--username" "jrandom" "--password" "rayjandom" "-m" "Log
message for rev
ision 1."
"file:///usr/local/src/devel/svn/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/local_tmp/repos
" "local_tmp/greekfiles"
CMD: svnadmin "create" "repositories/svnversion_tests-1"
CMD: svnadmin dump "local_tmp/repos" | svnadmin load
"repositories/svnversion_tests-1"
CMD: svn "co" "--username" "jrandom" "--password" "rayjandom"
"file:///usr/local/src/devel/
svn/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/repositories/svnversion_tests-1"
"working_copies/svnve
rsion_tests-1"
CMD: svnversion "working_copies/svnversion_tests-1"
"file:///usr/local/src/devel/svn/subver
sion/tests/clients/cmdline/repositories/svnversion_tests-1"
FAIL:  svnversion_tests.py 1: test 'svnversion' on a working copy and other
directories
END: svnversion_tests.py

--
Jeff Stuart
jstuart@computer-city.net

Re: make check Error with SVN version 4755

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net> writes:

> Ok, I looked at the failed install, and then saw that svnversion was
> installed. When I run it, I get the following backtrace:

Everything can be explained because you are picking up old libraries.

> (gdb) run .
> Starting program: /usr/local/svn/bin/svnversion .
> [New Thread 1024 (LWP 23065)]

> [Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 23065)]
> 0x402a524c in apr_palloc (pool=0x0, size=32) at apr_pools.c:621
> warning: Source file is more recent than executable.

You get this warning because you are picking up old libraries.

> 621         active = pool->active;
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x402a524c in apr_palloc (pool=0x0, size=32) at apr_pools.c:621
> #1  0x40299007 in apr_hash_make (pool=0x0) at apr_hash.c:135
> #2  0x40026a81 in svn_client_status (statushash=0xbffff9e4,
> youngest=0xbffff9e8,
>     path=0x4024d300 "", auth_baton=0x1, descend=1, get_all=0, update=0,
>     no_ignore=-1073743376, notify_func=0x804ff80, notify_baton=0x804ff80,
> pool=0x0)
>     at subversion/libsvn_client/status.c:156
> #3  0x08048d83 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbffffa94) at
> subversion/svnversion/main.c:82
> #4  0x40346657 in __libc_start_main (main=0x8048ca4 <main>, argc=2,
> ubp_av=0xbffffa94,
>     init=0x804894c <_init>, fini=0x8049050 <_fini>, rtld_fini=0x4000dcd4
> <_dl_fini>,
>     stack_end=0xbffffa8c) at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:129
> (gdb) up
> #1  0x40299007 in apr_hash_make (pool=0x0) at apr_hash.c:135
> warning: Source file is more recent than executable.
>
> 135         ht = apr_palloc(pool, sizeof(apr_hash_t));
> (gdb) up
> #2  0x40026a81 in svn_client_status (statushash=0xbffff9e4,
> youngest=0xbffff9e8,
>     path=0x4024d300 "", auth_baton=0x1, descend=1, get_all=0, update=0,
>     no_ignore=-1073743376, notify_func=0x804ff80, notify_baton=0x804ff80,
> pool=0x0)

You get pool=0x0 because you are picking up old libraries and the
number of parameters to svn_client_status has changed recently.
pool=0x0 causes the core dump.

>     at subversion/libsvn_client/status.c:156
> warning: Source file is more recent than executable.
>
> 156       svn_wc_adm_access_t *adm_access;

You see a non-function call because you are picking up old libraries
and the line numbers have changed.

--
Philip Martin

Re: make check Error with SVN version 4755

#0  0x402a524c in apr_palloc (pool=0x0, size=32) at apr_pools.c:621
#1  0x40299007 in apr_hash_make (pool=0x0) at apr_hash.c:135
#2  0x40026a81 in svn_client_status (statushash=0xbffff9e4,
youngest=0xbffff9e8,
#1  0x40299007 in apr_hash_make (pool=0x0) at apr_hash.c:135

#3  0x08048d83 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbffffa94) at
subversion/svnversion/main.c:82
82        err = svn_client_status (&status_hash, &youngest, wc_path, TRUE,
TRUE,
(gdb)

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.
Jeff Stuart wrote:
> Jeff Stuart wrote:
>> Only reason I reported it with svnversion was cause make check was
>> failing at that point. Svn status also fails... I'll go remove the old
>> libraries and see what happens...
>>
>> Oh, this is on a RedHat 7.2 intel box. NEVER had this problem before
>> soo... ;)
>
> Well now... I removed the old libraries and svnversion did NOT fail...
> SOOO... time to go rerun make check... and if that works.. I'll recompile
> everything...

Ok, make check worked without a problem... SOO that was my problem... good
to know. :)

Thx for the help everyone!

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.
Philip Martin wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
>> Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
>> > It's only necessary on some systems, and it has *never* been necessary
>> > on my Linux system.  Have we ever got to the bottom of the problem?
>> > Why do some systems require it?
>>
>> In my own experience, FreeBSD has burned me many times in this way.
>>
>> Essentially, if I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib, then the FreeBSD
>> runtime linker (rld) causes my in-tree binaries to use the *installed*
>> svn libraries.  If this environment variable is unset, then the
>> in-tree binaries use the in-tree libraries.  It took me forever to
>> figure this out.
>
> It's interesting that Jeff reports a problem with svnversion but
> nothing else.  If he is getting old libraries, as seems likely given
> the backtrace he psoted, why doesn't it affect all the other binaries?
>
> Jeff, what platform are you using?  Is the svnversion test the only
> one that fails?  Do you have an ldd command?  If so what is the output
> from
>
> $ ldd subversion/svnversion/.libs/lt-svnversion | grep libsvn
> $ ldd subversion/clients/cmdline/.libs/lt-svn | grep libsvn

Only reason I reported it with svnversion was cause make check was failing
at that point. Svn status also fails... I'll go remove the old libraries
and see what happens...

Oh, this is on a RedHat 7.2 intel box. NEVER had this problem before soo...
;)

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
>
> > >ugh so I REALLY REALLY do need to remove all the old installed versions
> > >ehh... :(
> > >
> > >Ok.
> > >

> > This is from the INSTALL file, right at the top in section I:
> >
> >       Note: Because previous builds of Subversion may have installed older
> >       versions of these libraries, you may want to run some of the cleanup
> >       commands described in section II.B before installing the following.
>
> It's only necessary on some systems, and it has *never* been necessary
> on my Linux system.  Have we ever got to the bottom of the problem?
> Why do some systems require it?

In my own experience, FreeBSD has burned me many times in this way.

Essentially, if I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib, then the FreeBSD
runtime linker (rld) causes my in-tree binaries to use the *installed*
svn libraries.  If this environment variable is unset, then the
in-tree binaries use the in-tree libraries.  It took me forever to
figure this out.

Just a data point there.

Re: make check Error with SVN version 4755

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.