Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Parsons <ro...@optushome.com.au> on 2005/11/01 12:58:28 UTC

Re: ant reload

You'll probably find that your web application is being copied into
tomcats folder on install. So when you compile your new classes and
reload, it just reloads the web-app from its own copy (which is still
old). Try creating a context.xml file in META-INF that looks something
like this:

<Context path="/myapp" docBase="/path/to/your/application">
</Context>

That should stop the application from being copied.

I hope that helps.
-Robert.

Re: ant reload

Posted by Tamas Hegedus <he...@med.unc.edu>.
Dear Robert,

Although, I could not find a good doc for context.xml I tried your
context path solution.

1. It works the same way.
2. You wrote: "That should stop the application from being copied." BUT:
I want to copy the new version of classes and reload tomcat.

The easiest way at this moment to add an ant task 'myreload' that
invokes the remove and install. But this is not an elegant solution.

Please note: I am not a programmer and I am new to java and tomcat...

Thanks,
Tamas

Robert Parsons wrote:
> You'll probably find that your web application is being copied into
> tomcats folder on install. So when you compile your new classes and
> reload, it just reloads the web-app from its own copy (which is still
> old). Try creating a context.xml file in META-INF that looks something
> like this:
>
> <Context path="/myapp" docBase="/path/to/your/application">
> </Context>
>
> That should stop the application from being copied.
>
> I hope that helps.
> -Robert.
>
> Tamas Hegedus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After src/*.java modification I do an "ant compile", "ant reload".
>> Nothing happens. Old class files not overwritten.
>> If I do "ant remove" followed by "ant install": everything is OK
>> (refreshed).
>>
>> Do you know what can I miss?
>> I am using: jdk1.5.0_05, apache-ant-1.6.5, apache-tomcat-5.5.12.
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Tamas

Tamas Hegedus, PhD          | phone: (1) 919-966 0329
UNC - Biochem & Biophys     | fax:   (1) 919-966 5178
5007A Thurston-Bowles Bldg  | mailto:hegedus@med.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-7248 | http://biohegedus.org