Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bill Parkinson <bi...@yahoo.com> on 2000/07/12 04:31:38 UTC

XSLTC + Cocoon?

Greetings All,

I read with interest the article from Sun about donating XSLTC
to the ASF. (XSLT Compiler)

My basic understanding of this tool is the following:

somefile.xsl ==>  somefile.java ==> somefile.class (+ libs)

This notion of an XSLTC greatly intrigues me.

Has anyone else been fantasizing about integrating this into
Cocoon 1.7.X?

Envision this beauty of a PI:

<?xml-stylesheet href="index.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xsltc"?>

Seeing this,  Cocoon will have the "xstlc" processor invoked.
Like the xsp processor it checks if index.xsl is up to date or
not.  If not it runs the xslt compiler against it to make a new
class file in the repository.

The DOM tree is passed to this new compiled xslt class instead
of the normal interpretive XSLT processing.

The net result == speed???

xsl's are cached very efficiently here as java byte code!

Has anyone else thought about this?

Likely, someone has a better idea around this subject, I'd be
eager to hear.

How could one get the XSLTC code to tool around with this idea?

Thanks,
Bill Parkinson
-- "Try, try NOT!  There is no try, only do."  -- Yoda

http://mail.yahoo.com/