Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org> on 2013/04/22 01:32:48 UTC

PVlan branch created

Hi,

I've pushed the early stage code for private vlan support to the repo.

The FS is at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/PVLAN+for+isolation+within+a+VLAN

The effort are on simulation PVLAN(isolated secondary vlan) using openflow
on OVS. But I have to admit it's really less than ideal, especially the "vm
in the dhcp host" script.

Ideally, when we want to setup pvlan, we need just tell that enable it for
a VM or enable it for DHCP server. But after spending all the effort try to
find a way on ovs(supported openflow 1.0), I realize we need higher version
of openflow support, which I explained in FS. Currently we need to also
tell VM on the same host with DHCP server, apart from other VMs, and
programming different rules. It's unusual for CloudStack, and result in
some hack code as well.

The current code can start/stop VM and DHCP server, but haven't got
migration work done.

If you're interesting, please take a look at the branch.

--Sheng

Re: PVlan branch created

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
Some update:

I just pushed another improved version of ovs policies for pvlan. This time
we won't need to tell if the VM is in the same host as dhcp server or not.
Much more elegant(and less code!) than last time.

--Sheng