Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Alex Wang <aw...@crossview.com> on 2008/08/07 01:45:18 UTC

Lucene Concurrency Issue

Hi all,

To allow mutilple users concurrently add, delete docs and at the same time search the same index, what should I watch out for in terms of initing indexreader, indexwriter and indexsearcher?

My application is getting various IOException (seek failed, permission denied, etc...) when concurrent add/delete/search happens. Is there any general guidelines that you can share? Thanks in advance!

Alex

RE: Lucene Concurrency Issue

Posted by Alex Wang <aw...@crossview.com>.
Thanks Mark and Jason for your responses and your contrib to Lucene. I will try to dig into them and incorporate the ideas into my app. Thanks again!

Alex

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Do a little research to learn the rules and you will figure out how to
make those classes cooperate. You might start by looking at LUCENE-1026,
which is a simple set of classes that allows for what you want. You can
use it, use it to make your own, or even look at its father issue - the
original LuceneIndexAccessor. (I might actually have updated code to
LUCENE-1026 lying around - ill put it up soon if I do)

That will get you there quick and simple. If you have big plans in the
future though, you might be better off checking out solr or embedded solr.

- Mark