Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/11 09:40:15 UTC

How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Its monthly report time in the Incubator and while Cassandra doesn't
need to report this month would it be worth thinking about what needs
to be done for graduation? Where do you guys think you are? What still
needs to be done? Do you need any help identifying what needs to be
done?

   ...ant

Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@holsman.net>.
the beta of it is being voted on at the moment I think.

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net

Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> So, to sum up, in my mind the only real issue here is the trademark
> search, and after an 0.4.0 release we should be in good shape for
> graduation.

Sounds like a sensible plan.

I've done the trademark check (if the link doesn't work, search form here:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4009:b87rle.1.1):

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4002%3Amjd1em.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=no&p_s_PARA1=live&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=cassandra&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

There's only one software related trademark for "Pre-recorded software on
CD-ROM and diskettes for calculating " arrearages, amortization,
child-support payments, ... As long as you stay away from diskettes and
accounting, you'll probably be fine ;) Other than that, Cassandra seems to
be a pretty hot name in women clothing.

Matthieu

Posted by Wilson Mar <wi...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan,

Thanks to you and the others to getting the project this far.
What you'all are doing is an important base for future generations of systems.

- Wilson

Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM, ant elder<an...@apache.org> wrote:
> The minimum requirements that a Podling SHALL meet prior to being
> graduated to the ASF are :

I'll X the ones we are in good shape on:

* Legal
         X All code ASL'ed
         X The code base must contain only ASL or ASL-compatible dependencies

(the last question mark was resolved here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-53)

         o License grant complete

I think this was done with the first code import?  Our other mentors
probably know.

         X CLAs on file.
         o Check of project name for trademark issues

Not sure about this one.  Who would we follow up with?

   * Meritocracy / Community
         X Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
         X The project is not highly dependent on any single
contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of
the project)

We have 3 active committers (from two different companies) and many
active contributors who are potential committers with a little more
experience in the code base.  We also have 3 inactive committers from
Facebook.

         X The above implies that new committers are admitted
according to ASF practices

All the non-FB committers were added post-incubation via nomination, vote, etc..

         X ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
         X Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict
within the community.
         X Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community.

0.3.0 was successfully released and 0.4.0 is very close to (unofficial) beta.

         o Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal
bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure "tax").

Not sure what we're supposed to do to satisfy this author's bias.

   * Alignment / Synergy
   *
         o Use of other ASF subprojects
         o Develop synergistic relationship with other ASF subprojects

Honestly I'm not sure what this is doing as a requirement for
graduation.  If synergies exist, great.  Otherwise artificially
requiring some to be made up for graduation is silly.

But, we do use Apache Commons, Thrift, and probably soon Hadoop core.

   * Infrastructure
         X SVN module has been created
         X Mailing list(s) have been created
         X Mailing lists are being archived
         X Issue tracker has been created
         X Project website has been created
         X Project ready to comply with ASF mirroring guidelines
         X Project is integrated with GUMP if appropriate

Johan set us up on Hudson.

         X Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community
         X Developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 20:43 +0200, Viktor Klang wrote:
> Perhaps the biggest question is who she's taking to the prom...

Bad. So bad...

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Posted by Viktor Klang <vi...@gmail.com>.

--
Viktor Klang

Rogue Scala-head

Blog: klangism.blogspot.com
Twttr: viktorklang

Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 15:33 +0100, ant elder wrote:
> The minimum requirements that a Podling SHALL meet prior to being
> graduated to the ASF are :
>
>     * Legal
>           o All code ASL'ed
>           o The code base must contain only ASL or ASL-compatible
> dependencies

Check and check.

>           o License grant complete
>           o CLAs on file.
>           o Check of project name for trademark issues

Not sure how to verify these.

>     * Meritocracy / Community
>           o Demonstrate an active and diverse development community

Based on the number of submitted Jira issues, the number of people
submitting them, the number of people submitting patches, the number of
people offering code reviews and testing, the increasing traffic on the
lists (we could do better here though), and the traffic on IRC (we
average > 50 people during peak hours)... Check.

>           o The project is not highly dependent on any single
> contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent committers and
> there is no single company or entity that is vital to the success of
> the project)

According to the status page there are 8 committers, representing (I
think ) 6 different organizations (or themselves). Some are more active
than others though, so I'm not sure how you'd score this.

>           o The above implies that new committers are admitted
> according to ASF practices

Two folks were just recently added.

>           o ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice

We've struggled with when, where and how to use this, but I think we are
basically OK here.

>           o Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict
> within the community.

A prime example I think:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00379.html

>           o Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the
> community.
>                 + (requirement on minimum number of such releases?)
>                 + Note: incubator projects are not permitted to issue
> an official Release. Test snapshots (however good the quality) and
> Release plans are OK.

A roadmap was discussed[0] for 0.3.0, and the fix-for-version metadata
in Jira was used to track the progress. Votes were held for release
candidates[1] and for the final[2]. There was also discussion regarding
post-release support of 0.3.0.[3]

IMO, we've been even better about this for 0.4.0[4] so far.

[0]
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00160.html
[1]
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00415.html
[2]
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00448.html
[3]
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00477.html
[4]
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00569.html

>           o Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
> communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal
> bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure "tax").

Not sure here. Could you explain this one?

>           o Incubator PMC has voted for graduation
>           o Destination PMC, or ASF Board for a TLP, has voted for
> final acceptance

Obvious not. :)

>     * Alignment / Synergy
>           o Use of other ASF subprojects
>           o Develop synergistic relationship with other ASF
> subprojects

We use quite a bit of ASF software (several of the commons libraries for
example), but the most prominent example is probably Thrift. There is
some overlap between project participants, and countless Thrift issues
have been filed by members of the Cassandra community (often accompanied
by patches).

>     * Infrastructure
>     *
>           o SVN module has been created
>           o Mailing list(s) have been created
>           o Mailing lists are being archived
>           o Issue tracker has been created
>           o Project website has been created
>           o Project ready to comply with ASF mirroring guidelines
>           o Project is integrated with GUMP if appropriate
>           o Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community
>           o Developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust

All good here too.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: How is Cassandra going for graduation?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Eric Evans<ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 08:40 +0100, ant elder wrote:
>> Its monthly report time in the Incubator and while Cassandra doesn't
>> need to report this month would it be worth thinking about what needs
>> to be done for graduation? Where do you guys think you are? What still
>> needs to be done? Do you need any help identifying what needs to be
>> done?
>
> Personally, I find I'm always a little gray when it comes to ASF
> expectations, (I believe others suffer from this as well). For example,
> is http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cassandra.html the canonical
> checklist? Is that up-to-date and accurate?
>
> So yes, I'd welcome help identifying what's left to be done.
>
> Thanks ant!
>
> --
> Eric Evans
> eevans@rackspace.com

As i start there's the Incubator policy doc which has some minimum
graduation requirements which I'll cutNpaste here: