Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com> on 2012/08/28 02:44:02 UTC

Update on Falcon donation

The donation document for Falcon has been signed by the relevant Vice President at Adobe. (He was on vacation for the last two weeks, causing a delay.) When the document has been sent to Apache and recorded, I'll add the code to the repository.

- Gordon

RE: Update on Falcon donation

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
The delays with the Falcon paperwork are running up against a 5-day vacation I'm taking starting this Friday. If I'm able to donate the code tomorrow, I can answer questions about it on Thursday before I leave. I'll be back on Monday, September 10.

- Gordon

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Gordon,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

RE: Update on Falcon donation

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
I don't think that Adobe is backing away from donating FalconJS. But code can typically never be donated "as is" for various legal reasons. Even if the code doesn't compile or run, it still takes someone at Adobe to do prep work like putting in Apache copyright headers, changing the package names from ones involving "adobe" and "flash" (which I think trademarks of Adobe), scrubbing comments that aren't intended for public consumption, making the build script compliant with Apache's requirements, getting Adobe Legal to sign off, etc. It will probably end up either being me, Alex, or Carol that does this work, even though none of us worked on FalconJS, because the engineer who did is working on other stuff now.

- Gordon

> No, sorry. FalconJS was a separate experimental project by a separate
> team (actually, by one person). It adds on to Falcon but isn't
> considered part of Falcon.  It hasn't been maintained for a number of
> months and isn't currently in shape to be donated. One of Adobe's next
> steps after donating Falcon will be to figure out what to do about FalconJS.
>
> - Gordon

Thanks for the updates, Gordon.

I think even if the state of FalconJS has gotten out of sync with the current state of Falcon people will still be very interested in the approach and, I think, more than likely will want to at least use the code as reference for getting a "FalconJS" closer to production-ready. Not sure if community feedback will be part of the decision Adobe makes on what to do with FalconJS, but if it counts for anything I'm pretty sure the community will take the project in any state it may be in. I know I would.
:)

-omar

Re: Update on Falcon donation

Posted by filippo dipisa <fi...@dipisa.net>.
Gordon thanks for the update.
I agree with Omar.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
No, sorry. FalconJS was a separate experimental project by a separate team (actually, by one person). It adds on to Falcon but isn't considered part of Falcon.  It hasn't been maintained for a number of months and isn't currently in shape to be donated. One of Adobe's next steps after donating Falcon will be to figure out what to do about FalconJS.

- Gordon

does this version of Falcon include also FalconJs?
Thanks in advance.
Filippo

Posted by filippo dipisa <fi...@dipisa.net>.
Hi Gordon,

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Pepe <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
This is great news!

I have been waiting for this since January. :)

I have heard that Falcon does not implement ASDoc, is there anybody
interested in starting a conversation about how ASDoc should be
implemented with the new compiler?

FYI, I am very interested in donating my time to ASDoc and
implementing it with the new Falcon compiler.

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com